1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with finding normal modes of a bar swinging on a string

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bar with mass m and length l is attached at one end to a string (also length l) and is swinging back and forth. Find the normal modes of oscillation.

2. Relevant equations
    L=T-U, and the Lagrange-euler equation, I=(1/12)ml^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    So my idea is this. Use the two angles [itex]\theta[/itex] (angle of string from the vertical) and [itex]\phi[/itex] (angle of the bar from the vertical) as the generalized coordinates and set up a Lagrangian to get two (probably coupled) differential equations. THen I'm guessing two different eigenfrequencies will pop out when I solve them.

My problem is that I'm not sure what the (translational) kinetic energy is. (The rotational would just be I*ω^2 and this ω^2 would, in the end, give me the two frequencies [?]) I've tried finding [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] and [itex]dot{y}[/itex] using sines and cosines of the angles, but when I do (and I make appropriate approximations) I'm left with no [itex]dot{\theta}[/itex] or [itex]dot{\phi}[/itex]terms which doesn't seem right.
    But I'm also not sure if it's as simple as [itex]T=ml^2(dot{\theta}+dot{phi}) [/itex].

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The easiest thing to do is simply write down the x and y coordinates of the center of mass of the rod in terms of the two angles and then calculate ##\frac{1}{2}(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)##.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    Thanks. A new question though:

What is ω (from the rotational KE) in terms of the two angles? Usually [itex]\omega = dot{\theta} [/itex]. But that's only for one angle. Because if ω isn't in terms of the angle(s) then the rotational KE drops out when you take the derivatives for L which doesn't seem right.

Thanks again.

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

From the way you defined the angles, you should have ##\omega=\dot{\phi}##, right? Changing that angle corresponds to the bar rotating whereas changing ##\theta## only causes translation of the bar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted