Help with finding Zeros of a polynomial with 1+i as a zero

In summary: I am lost at "In summary, The polynomial is given by p(x) = x^3 − x^2 + ax + b with a = 2d + 2 and b = 2d, where d = 2 and the three real zeros are 1 + i, 1 − i, and 2."
53Mark53

Homework Statement

p(x) = x^3 − x^2 + ax + b is a real polynomial with 1 + i as a zero, find a and b and find all of the real zeros of p(x).

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1-i is also a zero as it is the conjugate of 1+i

so

(x-(1+i))(x-(1-i))=x^2-2x+2

let X^3-x^2+ax+b=x^2-2x+2(ax+d)

constant terms: b=2d, d=b/2

x terms: -2d+2a, a=2d

This is what I have done so far but I am unsure how to find a and b and the third zero

Any Help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
53Mark53 said:

Homework Statement

p(x) = x^3 − x^2 + ax + b is a real polynomial with 1 + i as a zero, find a and b and find all of the real zeros of p(x).

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1-i is also a zero as it is the conjugate of 1+i

so

(x-(1+i))(x-(1-i))=x^2-2x+2

let X^3-x^2+ax+b=x^2-2x+2(ax+d)

You've lost me here. That last step makes no sense.

##p(x) = (x^2 -2x + 2)(x + d)##

Surely?

PeroK said:
You've lost me here. That last step makes no sense.

##p(x) = (x^2 -2x + 2)(x + d)##

Surely?

That is the third root which I have to find

How else would I go about solving it?

53Mark53 said:
That is the third root which I have to find

How else would I go about solving it?

What's the most obvious thing you can do with

##(x^2 -2x + 2)(x + d)##

PeroK said:

##(x^2 -2x + 2)(x + d)##

I can Expand it which would give me

x^3+dx^-2x^2-2xde+2x+2d

What would I do now?

Would I sub in a (1+i) in for x which would give me d2i-2d+2id+2d

53Mark53 said:

x^3+dx^-2x^2-2xde+2x+2d

What would I do now?

It should say x^3+dx^2-2x^2-2xd+2x+2d

Hi
I have a very easy method, and i am going to give you a hint.

Assume the third root to be C

And then use the relation between the coeffecients of the equation and the sum taken one at a time,two at a time , three at a time.

PeroK said:

##(x^2 -2x + 2)(x + d)##

It is more natural to write [itex]x^3 - x^2 + ax + b = (x^2 - 2x + 2)(x - x_0)[/itex] since the root we seek is then [itex]x_0[/itex] rather than [itex]-d[/itex].

53Mark53 said:

x^3+dx^-2x^2-2xde+2x+2d

What would I do now?

53Mark53 said:
It should say x^3+dx^2-2x^2-2xd+2x+2d

You have three unknowns. You need therefore three simultaneous equations which they must satisfy. You can obtain these by setting [tex]
x^3 - x^2 + ax + b = (x^2 - 2x + 2)(x + d)[/tex] and comparing coefficients of powers of [itex]x[/itex].

pasmith said:
It is more natural to write [itex]x^3 - x^2 + ax + b = (x^2 - 2x + 2)(x - x_0)[/itex] since the root we seek is then [itex]x_0[/itex] rather than [itex]-d[/itex].You have three unknowns. You need therefore three simultaneous equations which they must satisfy. You can obtain these by setting [tex]
x^3 - x^2 + ax + b = (x^2 - 2x + 2)(x + d)[/tex] and comparing coefficients of powers of [itex]x[/itex].

using constant term
b=2d

x terms

a=2d+2

x^2 term

-1=d-2

Would this be the equations that I need to use?

53Mark53 said:
using constant term
b=2d

x terms

a=2d+2

x^2 term

-1=d-2

Would this be the equations that I need to use?

did you see post #7 ? use that its much quicker.

Sahil Kukreja said:
did you see post #7 ? use that its much quicker.
I'm not sure that I understand would I just use C as a root and expand (1+i)(1-i)C

53Mark53 said:
I'm not sure that I understand would I just use C as a root and expand (1+i)(1-i)C

Nope.

1st root :- 1+i
2nd root:- 1-i
3rd root :- C

Sum of roots = -(coeff of x^2)/(coeff of x^3)
Sum of product of the roots taken 2 at a time= (coeff of x)/(coeff of x^3)
Sum of product of the roots taken 3 at a time = -(constant)/(coeff of x^3)

EDIT:

Capture.jpg

Sahil Kukreja said:
Nope.

1st root :- 1+i
2nd root:- 1-i
3rd root :- C

Sum of roots taken 1 at a time = -(coeff of x^2)/(coeff of x^3)
Sum of roots taken 2 at a time= (coeff of x)/(coeff of x^3)
Sum of roots taken 3 at a time = -(constant)/(coeff of x^3)

Sum of roots taken 1 at a time = -(coeff of x^2)/(coeff of x^3) =-1/1=1
Sum of roots taken 2 at a time= (coeff of x)/(coeff of x^3) = a/1=a
Sum of roots taken 3 at a time = -(constant)/(coeff of x^3) = b/1=b

What would I do now?

53Mark53 said:
Sum of roots taken 1 at a time = -(coeff of x^2)/(coeff of x^3) =-1/1=1
Sum of roots taken 2 at a time= (coeff of x)/(coeff of x^3) = a/1=a
Sum of roots taken 3 at a time = -(constant)/(coeff of x^3) = b/1=b

What would I do now?

I edited it, refresh and check.

your third equation should be= '-b' not 'b'

and if r1,r2,r3 are the roots of 3rd degree polynomial
then
sum of product of roots taken 2 at a time means
r1.r2+ r2.r3 + r3.r1

rest you can understand.

53Mark53 said:

x^3+dx^-2x^2-2xde+2x+2d

What would I do now?

So, you have:

##p(x) = x^3 - x^2 +ax + b = x^3 + (d-2)x^2 + (2-2d)x + 2d##

It shouldn't be hard to solve for ##d, a, b## from there!

PeroK said:
So, you have:

##p(x) = x^3 - x^2 +ax + b = x^3 + (d-2)x^2 + (2-2d)x + 2d##

It shouldn't be hard to solve for ##d, a, b## from there!

does this meant that

-x^2=(d-2)x^2
-1=d-2
d=1

53Mark53 said:
does this meant that

-x^2=(d-2)x^2
-1=d-2
d=1

Yes! Just compare coefficients, as was mentioned in post #8.

Likes 53Mark53
The way to find a simpler (reduced degree) equation from a polynomial equation of which you already know some roots (i.e. you know a factor of the polynomial) is to divide the overall polynomial by the polynomial that you know.

Equivalently and I think this way is easier here, eliminate between the two polynomials until you get a linear factor in this case.

In this way you should get an equation linear in x. You then identify coefficients.

If you are handy with determinants there is another, still equivalent, way to do it using them. Which I tried – but it seems I am not as handy as I thought. :redface:

Last edited:
epenguin said:
The way to find a simpler (reduced degree) equation from a polynomial equation of which you already know some roots (i.e. you know a factor of the polynomial) is to divide the overall polynomial by the polynomial that you know.
It seems to me that polynomial division is the most direct way to get the complete solution. The real zero "pops out" immediately. Along with this, one simply chooses a and b to make the remainder be zero.

Unfortunately, this thread has been marked as "Solved" despite the fact that OP has not given his/her solution. Apparently OP has never come across the epenguin's signature message !

Likes epenguin
Since the thread has been marked solved :-

1+i+1-i+C=1 => C=-1

(1+i)(1-i) + (1-i)(C) + (1+i)(C) = a => 2 +2C=a => a=0.

(1+i)(1-i)(C) = -b => -b=2C => b=2.

All the roots : 1+i , 1-i , -1
a: 0
b: 2

The equation becomes:- ## x^3-x^2+2 =0##

## (x+1)(x^2-2x+2)=0##

Likes SammyS
SammyS said:
It seems to me that polynomial division is the most direct way to get the complete solution. The real zero "pops out" immediately. Along with this, one simply chooses a and b to make the remainder be zero.

Unfortunately, this thread has been marked as "Solved" despite the fact that OP has not given his/her solution. Apparently OP has never come across the epenguin's signature message !

I have changed it to 'unsolved'. I don't know what was in the mind and is Greg when he created the solve the button – but I see no point calling anything without seeing a solution 'solved'. I also don't know what is in the mind of OP is who do this – they may have had an advantage from the thread, but what satisfaction or interest do they imagine there is for other participants or readers in discussing a question without ever seeing the solution?

Sahil Kukreja said:
Since the thread has been marked solved :-

1+i+1-i+C=1 => C=-1

(1+i)(1-i) + (1-i)(C) + (1+i)(C) = a => 2 +2C=a => a=0.

(1+i)(1-i)(C) = -b => -b=2C => b=2.

All the roots : 1+i , 1-i , -1
a: 0
b: 2

## (x+1)(x^2-2x+2)=0##

Yes I think it can be done this way with the formula for coefficients. But I am not following your logic at the end and I think there is a mistake at the end of the second line. What is needed is a linear factor which multiplied by (x2-2x2+2) gives the original cubic.

epenguin said:
I have changed it to 'unsolved'. I don't know what was in the mind and is Greg when he created the solve the button – but I see no point calling anything without seeing a solution 'solved'. I also don't know what is in the mind of OP is who do this – they may have had an advantage from the thread, but what satisfaction or interest do they imagine there is for other participants or readers in discussing a question without ever seeing the solution?
Yes I think it can be done this way with the formula for coefficients. But I am not following your logic at the end and I think there is a mistake at the end of the second line. What is needed is a linear factor which multiplied by (x2-2x2+2) gives the original cubic.

I think it is correct, you can just verify that 1+i & 1-i are the roots of x^2-2x+2. and by opening the last line, it gives the required cubic.
and in the second line, i think its correct too.
Please Reply. Thanks.

Sahil Kukreja said:
I think it is correct, you can just verify that 1+i & 1-i are the roots of x^2-2x+2. and by opening the last line, it gives the required cubic.
and in the second line, i think its correct too.
Please Reply. Thanks.

Sahil Kukreja said:
S

## (x+1)(x^2-2x+2)=0##

Yes I see what you mean now and I agree (I just made some sign mistakes in my calculation).

It is however not necessary to consider the complex factors at this point, can all be done with the real quadratic factor that we know since #1

Likes Sahil Kukreja

1. What does it mean for 1+i to be a zero of a polynomial?

When 1+i is a zero of a polynomial, it means that when the polynomial is evaluated at 1+i, the result is equal to 0. In other words, 1+i is a root or solution of the polynomial equation.

2. How do I find the other zeros of the polynomial if 1+i is already known to be a zero?

If you know that 1+i is a zero of the polynomial, then you also know that 1-i (the complex conjugate of 1+i) must also be a zero. This is because complex zeros of polynomials always occur in conjugate pairs. To find the other zeros, you can use long division or synthetic division to factor out the polynomial and solve for the remaining real roots.

3. Can I use the quadratic formula to find the zeros of a polynomial with complex roots?

No, the quadratic formula only works for finding the zeros of quadratic polynomials with real coefficients. To find the zeros of a polynomial with complex roots, you can use the complex conjugate method or the general formula for cubic or quartic equations.

4. Why are complex zeros of polynomials important?

Complex zeros of polynomials play a crucial role in various fields of mathematics and science, including engineering, physics, and economics. They help to describe the behavior of systems with complex dynamics and can also be used to solve optimization problems and model real-life situations.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the zeros of a polynomial with complex roots?

There are various techniques and shortcuts for finding the zeros of polynomials with complex roots, such as the rational root theorem, Descartes' rule of signs, and the fundamental theorem of algebra. However, these methods may not always be applicable, and it is important to have a solid understanding of the basics of polynomial equations and complex numbers when working with complex zeros.