Help with force & pressure on spine while bench pressing weights

In summary, the conversation is about seeking help for understanding the difference in force or pressure on the spine while doing a bench press on two different surfaces. The person provides measurements such as spine length, body weight, bench press weight, distance traveled by the weight bar, and surface area. They are looking for the maximum force on the spine on a hard surface and a soft surface. The topic falls under the category of BioMechanics, and searching for "BioMechanics of weightlifting" or "BioMechanics of the bench press" may provide helpful information.
Vicore Fan
Hey everyone. I've never been very good at math/science so I'm seeking a little help from this forum in hopes that there is someone out there who can provide me or guide me to an answer. What I'm trying to figure out is the difference in force or pressure exerted on the human spine for an average adult male while doing a bench press on two different surfaces. If we use a length of 78 cm for spine length. A body weight of 90.72 kg. A bench press weight of 102.06 kg. Distance the weight bar travels 46 cm (downward only). Surface area is 1600 cm. What is the maximum force on the spine on a very hard surface (little to no compression...like a wood)? What is the maximum force on the spine on a very soft surface (like an air cushion)? Any help here would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Greg

Physics news on Phys.org
This comes under the broad heading of BioMechanics .

Try putting " BioMechanics of weightlifting " and " BioMechanics of the bench press " into your search engine .

1. How does force and pressure impact the spine while bench pressing weights?

The force and pressure on the spine while bench pressing weights can cause compression and strain on the spinal discs, which can lead to discomfort and potential injury.

2. What is the ideal way to minimize force and pressure on the spine while bench pressing weights?

The ideal way to minimize force and pressure on the spine while bench pressing weights is to maintain proper form and technique. This includes keeping the back flat against the bench, engaging the core muscles, and using a weight that is manageable for your strength level.

3. Can using a weightlifting belt help reduce force and pressure on the spine while bench pressing weights?

While a weightlifting belt may provide some support for the back and core muscles, it is not a guarantee against force and pressure on the spine. It is still important to maintain proper form and technique while using a weightlifting belt.

4. Are there any alternative exercises to bench pressing that can reduce force and pressure on the spine?

Yes, there are alternative exercises that can be done to reduce force and pressure on the spine while still targeting the same muscles. These include push-ups, dumbbell chest presses, and machine chest presses.

5. Is it necessary to consult a professional or trainer for help with force and pressure on the spine while bench pressing weights?

If you are experiencing discomfort or pain in your spine while bench pressing weights, it is always recommended to consult a professional or trainer for guidance. They can assess your form and technique and provide personalized tips and modifications to help reduce force and pressure on your spine.