1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Fourier Sine Expansion.

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. Find the Fourier sine expansion of [itex]\phi(x)=1[/itex]

2. Relevant equations.
    In the lecture the professor worked his stuff from scratch so I was trying to do it like his example.

3. The attempt at a solution.
    I start with [itex]\phi(x)=A_1sin(\pi x)+A_2sin(2\pi x)+\cdots+A_nsin(n\pi x),[/itex] and then add multiply by [itex]A_msin(m\pi x)[/itex] term on each side and integrate from 0 to 1.
    So I have [itex]\int\phi(x)A_msin(m\pi x)=\int\left(A_1sin(\pi x)A_msin(m\pi x)+A_2sin(2\pi x)A_msin(m\pi x)+\cdots+A_nsin(n\pi x)A_msin(m\pi x)\right).[/itex]
    I know that due to orthogonality you can discard the terms where m is not equal to n (but I don't really understand why so if you can explain this I would appreciate it).
    Discarding those terms and using a trig relation I get, [itex]\int\phi(x)A_msin(m\pi x)=1/2\int\left(cos((m-n)\pi x)-cos((m+n)\pi x)\right).[/itex]
    I then solve the integral and try to get [itex]A_m[/itex] by alone, but I think I am doing something wrong cause what I get is terribly messy.
    The book answer is [itex]1=\frac{4}{\pi}\left(sin(\pi x)+\frac{1}{3}sin(3\pi x)+\frac{1}{5}sin(5\pi x) +\cdots\right).[/itex] Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF,

You can discard those terms because sin(nπx)sin(mπx)dx actually evaluates to zero for m ≠ n (with the appropriate limits of integration). Try it! That's how orthogonality of the basis functions is defined.

I don't really understand what you did. If you discarded all but the m = n terms in the sum, then you should have had

1 = Amsin(mπx)Amsin(mπx)dx

= Am2sin2(mπx)dx

That isn't the integral in your post, for some reason...

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    I used the trig identity [itex]sin(x)sin(y)=\frac{cos(x-y)-cos(x+y)}{2}.[/itex] So my term becomes ##A_m \int \left(\frac{ cos(0)-cos(2m\pi x)}{2}\right) =A_m\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{sin(2m\pi)}{4m\pi} \right)## Is this not acceptable?

I managed to obtain $$A_m=\frac{4}{\pi}\left(\frac{1}{m}\right)$$ but I can't understand why the answer only has terms for odd m's. Any idea?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. Mar 3, 2013 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you post your work? After integrating, you should have obtained something of the form

some trig expression = 1

which is only true for discrete values of m.

Personally I would stick to the sine squared, since there is an easy trig identity for that.

Since cos(2a) = cos2(a) - sin2(a)

and cos2(a) = 1 - sin2(a),

it follows that:

cos(2a) = 1 - 2sin2(a)

or sin2(a) = 1/2*[1 - cos(2a)]

and this is REALLY easy to integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted