Help with fundamentals for understanding voltage, current, anode

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of electricity, including how electrons move in a metal and the role of a battery in creating electric current. The speaker also asks several questions about the behavior of electrons in various scenarios, including in an electron multiplier tube. The conversation ends with a reminder to keep in mind the relationship between magnetic fields and electric current.
abotiz
Hi,

I have never been good at understanding how electricity works, I would appreciate very much if someone could help me get a good picture on my questions, maybe with some visual/easy/logical examples/thoughts?

Electrons have a charge, in a metal they are free to move around, a charge in motion constitutes an electric current. So for so good I would say, but here is where it all becomes fuzzy.

In an example that I connect a battery to a copper wire:
Next thing that I would guess would happen is that the electrons would move from the negative pole of the battery to the positive pole.

1) The battery is a chemical solution that draws out electrons, and with time this degrades (resistance of the battery increases) and the voltage of the battery gets lower?
2) Is the current I measure from the electrons of the battery or from the copper wire?
3) So a bunch of electrons arriving to the positive pole at the battery, what happens next? Do they continue through the battery and end up att the negative pole again?

4) The measuring of the current can be calculated through some equations, I read somehwere that the electron couples with the elctrode, something like that. But what happens when the electron hits the electrode?

What caused me to ask these questions is because I am reading about electron multiplier tubes, so questions regarding that:

5) When an electron strikes the dynode it collides with other electrons and some are ejected along with it, would the dynode not get depleted of electrons after a couple of uses?
6) What is the "information" the anode recieves, is it the motion of the electrons in the tube, or the collision of the electrons with the anode?
7) What happens when the electrons strikes the anode, they should be removed somehow, otherwise they would build up a space charge and no electrons would eventually accelerate towards the anode.

Thank you very much for your time
I would greatly appreciate answers
Kind regards
abotiz

Engineering news on Phys.org
Two points to keep in mind before you ask all those questions:

Rotating a magnetic field around a wire induces a current...like a generator for example.

Pushing a current through a wire induces a rotating magnetic field...like a motor for example.

1. What is voltage and how is it measured?

Voltage is the measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

2. What is current and how is it measured?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in amperes (A). It is measured using an ammeter.

3. What is an anode and how does it function in an electrical circuit?

An anode is the positively charged electrode in an electrical circuit. It functions by attracting electrons from the cathode, creating a flow of current.

4. How are voltage and current related?

Voltage and current are directly proportional in an electrical circuit. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases and vice versa.

5. How do I use the fundamentals of voltage, current, and anode to troubleshoot electrical problems?

By understanding the relationship between voltage, current, and anode, you can use this knowledge to identify potential issues and troubleshoot electrical problems. For example, if there is a decrease in voltage, it could indicate a faulty anode or a break in the circuit. By measuring the current at different points in the circuit, you can pinpoint the source of the problem and make necessary repairs.