How is current direction in transformer determined and why?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in determining current direction in a typical battery versus a transformer. While the current direction in a battery is clear and follows Ohm's Law, the direction in a transformer is dependent on the AC nature of the device and can vary. The use of dot notation and understanding the phase angle between voltage and current is important in understanding current direction in AC circuits. The + and - notation in secondary windings does not relate to the true field direction, but rather indicates current direction in a conventional way.
goodphy
Hello.

Please see the attached picture first.

For typical battery (nothing but capacitor), current direction is clear as electrons can't not flow across the two plates in battery so they only choose wire as a path from cathode to anode.

But in transformer (+ and - sign represents voltage at instant time), I guess electrons can choose coil as a flow path since coil itself is connected conductor. Maybe it is more favorable as it is short path from cathode to anode.

The Ohm's law on resistor forces me to think that current path should be the same to case of the battery but It doesn't physically convince me.

How we can determine current direction and why?

Attachments

• Current direction of transformer.jpg
    Current direction of transformer.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,776
Engineering news on Phys.org
Transformers are AC devices. Current flows alternately in both directions, switching directions 50 or 60 times per second.

anorlunda said:
Transformers are AC devices. Current flows alternately in both directions, switching directions 50 or 60 times per second.

I know. That's why I mentioned + and - signs are at instant time. At certain time, upper is higher voltage than lower. At this time, I'm asking how current direction is determined and why.

Current flows through the external circuit ("load") from + to in accord with Ohm's Law.

There is also a dot convention applying to transformer phasing, you will see it on schematics where phasing is important. When current flows into the dotted end of the primary, it flows out of the dotted end of each of the secondaries. This is akin to indicating which ends of the secondaries are all + together, so if you need to connect some in series so their voltages add you can do it correctly.

If you really want to understand transformers, or any AC circuit, consider both voltage and current and the phase angle between them. You won't get far using DC reasoning. There is no phase angle in DC and it is so important in AC.

Thanks to give me feedback. I was thinking this issue seriously and got clear answer. The attached picture made it briefly clear.

1280px-Transformer3d_col3.svg.png

In this case, I was confused by + and - notation in secondary wining. I instantaneously thought electric field direction was + through coil to - like capacitor. It was wrong. The induced field direction is from - through coil to +!

If voltage is developed from space charge separation like capacitor, my original imagination is right. However here, + and - notation really doesn't relate to true field direction! They're just indicating current direction in conventional way.

I think it is clear answer:)

1. What is the purpose of determining the current direction in a transformer?

The current direction in a transformer is determined in order to ensure that the transformer is operating efficiently and to prevent any potential damage to the transformer or other connected equipment. It also helps in troubleshooting any issues that may arise during operation.

2. How is the current direction in a transformer determined?

The current direction in a transformer is determined by using a device called a phase sequence indicator. This device measures the phase sequence and direction of the current flow in the transformer. It is also possible to determine the current direction by analyzing the winding connections and the polarity of the transformer.

3. Why is it important to determine the current direction in a transformer?

Determining the current direction in a transformer is important because it ensures that the transformer is functioning properly and that the electrical energy is being transferred in the correct direction. If the current direction is incorrect, it can lead to inefficiencies, overheating, and potential damage to the transformer and other connected equipment.

4. Can the current direction in a transformer change?

Yes, the current direction in a transformer can change depending on the load and the direction of the current flow in the primary winding. This can happen when the load on the transformer changes or when multiple transformers are connected in parallel.

5. Is there a standard for determining the current direction in a transformer?

Yes, there is a standard for determining the current direction in a transformer. It is known as the right-hand grip rule, which states that if the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of the current flow in the primary winding, then the thumb will point in the direction of the current flow in the secondary winding.