1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with graduate ChemE application

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    Help with graduate ChemE application!!!!

I really want to apply to MIT for the ChemE Phd program and apparently they look at your class rank quite a bit....I might not have a very good class rank, let alone be the top student!!
    What are my chances going to be if I spend about 2.5 doing research and get a publication or 2?
    Did anyone actually get into mit with not so stellar grades? If so what did they/you do?
    On average how many publications should I aim for?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2
    Re: Help with graduate ChemE application!!!!

i dont think you have a chance without really good grades, and most people applying will have at least 1 publication. . .

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3

Well thanks Highway! Atleast 1? What's the most you've seen an applicant publish/have accepted?

Do you have any other recommendations from me? I take it I would probably need perfect GRE scores ( Quant.) and LORs but what about the extra stuff like Volunteering and other jobs? A minor perhaps? Anything to give myself an edge compared to others?

5. Nov 30, 2011 #4

i know of a girl who took time off between undergrad and worked in a lab for a few years before starting her phd. she had ~20 publications, most of them being co-authors, due to her heavy involvement in the lab. she pretty much wrote her ticket to the grad program of her choice.

i dont think you realize that a lot of kids who get into programs like that have (marshall) scholarships, 2+ majors, numerous awards, many ECs, etc. it's not like they all do just one or two things and get accepted, they do almost everything, and do them all well.

i know of someone who got into stanford, pton, etc for engineering as a marshall scholar, and to even get that award he was rejected with one publication, applied again with 3 publications and won it. he was a 4.0 student.

this might not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. . .

see if you can find some grad student web pages at mit and if they have their cv / work posted. . . make sure you're wearing a diaper though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook