1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with interpretation of question. (Differential equations)

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/Linear%20oscilator.png [Broken]

I am having trouble understand the question, what I have done its solve the equation using the substitution [tex]x=e^{rx}[/tex]

Then, I have the solution given by:

[tex] x(t)=c_1 e^{t(\sqrt{\gamma^2 - \omega^2 })} + c_2e^{-t(\sqrt{\gamma^2 - \omega^2)}} [/tex]

So at x(0)=0,

[tex] c_1 + c_2 = 0[/tex]

and, x'(0)=v
    [tex] v=c_2(\sqrt{\gamma^2 - \omega^2} - \omega) + c_1(\sqrt{\gamma^2 - \omega^2}+\omega) [/tex]

Not quite sure how to proceed as if \omega is greater than \gamma I get imaginary values and the opposite gives real, but what does that mean ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    Assuming everything is correct and I see it is correct up to taking the derivative and plugging in zero (I was too lazy to take the derivative). If omega > gamma, you would have [itex]e^{ait}[/itex] where I am using a = radical.

What is [itex]e^{ait}\mbox{?}[/itex] Can you rewrite e in this form as some other transcendental?

If they are real, you just have a DE with of the form Ae+Be.
    Equal you just have a constant.

Also, I see you didn't solve for you constant. You set it up but that was it.
    $$
    \begin{bmatrix}1&1&0\\
    \sqrt{\gamma^2-\omega^2}-\omega & \sqrt{\gamma^2-\omega^2}+\omega & v
    \end{bmatrix}
    $$
    When you solve this system, what do you get for [itex]c_1,c_2[/itex]?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. Apr 27, 2012 #3
    Okay so working out [tex] c_1 = -v/2\omega [/tex] and [tex] c_2 = v/2\omega [/tex] what does that mean for the formula I don't get what I'm suppose to interpret from these results ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook