1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with math Matrices problem

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the reduced row echelon form of the following matrix:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}\ \\ \\ \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}\;-4 & 0 & 4\;\\\;2 & -4 & 1\\\;-4 & 4 & -2\end{vmatrix}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{c}\ \\ \\ \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}\;1 & 0 & 1\;\\\;0 & 1 & \frac{1}{4}\\\;0 & 0 & 1\end{vmatrix}
    [/tex]

I've tried it a few times and keep getting that answer. I've inputted that answer and it's wrong. Am I supposed to keep reducing the third row (even though those are constants?)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2
    Look at your last row. It says 0x+0y=1 (Assuming this is an augmented matrix)

4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    I figured it out. I was supposed to make the 1 and 1/4 in the third row zero's as well.

5. Sep 19, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, what you showed was "row echelon" form. "Reduced row echelon reduces above the diagonal also. Actually, untill you get down to a row all 0s you will have just the identity matrix.

6. Sep 19, 2007 #5
    I had assumed not to touch the last row because that is usually the row of constants. In this case it wasn't - I had just assumed it was. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?