Easy Determinant Help: Solving Row Operations for Matrix | -9 is Wrong?

• Thread starter Augustine Duran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary, the determinant of the given matrix changes when the determinant of another matrix is changed by the same operations.
Augustine Duran

Homework Statement

\begin{vmatrix}
1 & -4 & 3 & 4 \\
0 & -9 & 6 & 8 \\
0 & -6 & 5 & 5 \\
0 & 0 & -3 & 2
\end{vmatrix}

so the determinant of this matrix is -9, apparently I am doing something illegal in my row operations.

I want to get -6 in row 3 to be 0 so...

2R2 - 3R3 = 0 0 -3 1

\begin{vmatrix}
1 & -4 & 3 & 4 \\
0 & -9 & 6 & 8 \\
0 & 0 & -3 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & -3 & 2
\end{vmatrix}

i want to get -3 in row 4 to be 0 so..

R4 - R3 = 0 0 0 1

\begin{vmatrix}
1 & -4 & 3 & 4 \\
0 & -9 & 6 & 8 \\
0 & 0 & -3 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{vmatrix}

here i multiply the main diagonal and get 27 which is wrong. Can someone point out what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Which determinant do you get, if you apply the same operations on the identity matrix?

-3?

So the determinant changed from ##1## to ##-3##. Now why should the determinant of your given matrix remain unchanged, when the determinant of another matrix changes by the same operations?

Do you see, why a correction by this factor yields the correct result?

to be honest i don't know. maybe you can rephrase your question so i can better understand?

all i know is the theorems in listed in the book

-If a multiple of one row of A is added to another row to produce a matrix B,
then detB = detA.

-If two rows of A are interchanged to produce B, then detB = detA

-If one row of A is multiplied by k to produce B, then detB = k ⋅ detA.

unless your trying to point out that the determinant of my given matrix shouldn't change if the determinant of the identity matrix doesn't change?

Did you already had matrix multiplication and the property of determinants ##\det (A\cdot B) = \det(A)\cdot \det(B)##?

These rules cannot be true. E.g. if I swap rows of ##\begin{bmatrix}1&0 \\ 0 &1 \end{bmatrix}## then I get ##\begin{bmatrix}0 &1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}##, but the first one has determinate ##1## and the second one ##-1##.

Augustine Duran said:
unless your trying to point out that the determinant of my given matrix shouldn't change if the determinant of the identity matrix doesn't change?
Either both will change or neither, if we apply the same operations.

ok so the Multiplicative Property u gave me is 2 pages ahead from where I am at, I am trying to understand an example using those theorems given to me.

im aware that if you swap rows the detB = - detA

Augustine Duran said:
ok so the Multiplicative Property u gave me is 2 pages ahead from where I am at, I am trying to understand an example using those theorems given to me.

im aware that if you swap rows the detB = - detA
For short: only operations are allowed which don't change the determinant or you have to keep track of them, e.g. by applying the same operations to the identity matrix, and at the end adjust your result accordingly. In our case this would mean, divide the ##27## by ##-3##.
I wanted to tell you why this is possible. As it is ahead of you, I'll say it and you can come back on it, when you are a few pages further.

Row operations applied on a matrix ##A## the way you did it, means you transformed ##A## into a matrix ##R\cdot A##. Now you calculated ##\det (R\cdot A)## which is equal to ##\det R \cdot \det A##. So we still have to divide by ##\det R## in order to get ##\det A##.
If we apply the same operations on the identity matrix, then we change ##I## with ##\det I =1## to ##R\cdot I = R## with ##\det R = \det R \cdot \det I = \det (R\cdot I)## which gave in our case the value ##\det R = -3## as you said in post #3.

so dividing det(R⋅A) by det R gives me det A. what's bugging me is that, do i have apply the same operations to the identity matrix to get det R, and then divide det( R⋅A) by det R every time to find the determinant? the example in the book just did some row operations then multiplied the main diagonal to get the determinant
(i did different row operations than the book so I am thinking that's where my error is but i can't see where i went wrong)

Augustine Duran said:
so dividing det(R⋅A) by det R gives me det A. what's bugging me is that, do i have apply the same operations to the identity matrix to get det R, and then divide det( R⋅A) by det R every time to find the determinant? the example in the book just did some row operations then multiplied the main diagonal to get the determinant
(i did different row operations than the book so I am thinking that's where my error is but i can't see where i went wrong)
The alternative would be: only apply operations, which do not change the determinant. Addition of rows is o.k., multiplications change it (see last rule in post #5) as well as interchanging two neighboring rows does it by a factor ##-1##. Your first step ##2R_2 - 3R_3## changed the determinant, because you performed multiplications (see last rule in post #5):
  • factor ##2## from row two ##R_2##
  • factor ##-3## from row three ##R_3##
  • addition for free
  • reversing the operation on row two by dividing it by ##2##
So you changed the determinant by a factor ##2\cdot (-3) \cdot \dfrac{1}{2} = -3##

so...
-If one row of A is multiplied by k to produce B, then detB = k ⋅ detA

so correct me if I am wrong, i will still end up with the correct determinant if i multiply that determinant by k since detB = k ⋅ detA

Yes. But don't forget, that you multiplied several times to prepare the the rows for addition. All three have to be put into consideration.

ok final question. overall it seems i multiplied it by -3, which would seem to be my k. But multiplying my determinant (27) by -3 obviously gives the wrong answer. So shouldn't it be defined as 1/k instead of just k?

Augustine Duran said:
ok final question. overall it seems i multiplied it by -3, which would seem to be my k. But multiplying my determinant (27) by -3 obviously gives the wrong answer. So shouldn't it be defined as 1/k instead of just k?
You increased your determinant by a factor ##-3## during the process. So to reverse it, you have to divide it again. But in the named rule, there has to be k.

Likes Augustine Duran
ok thanks for all the help and being patient, i really appreciate it!

What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that can be calculated from the elements of a square matrix. It is commonly used in linear algebra and has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do I find the determinant of a matrix?

To find the determinant of a matrix, you can use various methods such as cofactor expansion, row reduction, or using the properties of determinants. The method you choose may depend on the size and complexity of the matrix.

Why is finding the determinant important?

The determinant of a matrix can provide important information about the properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and calculating the area and volume of geometric shapes.

What are the key properties of determinants?

Some key properties of determinants include:

• Multiplying a row or column of a matrix by a constant also multiplies the determinant by that constant.
  • Swapping two rows or columns of a matrix changes the sign of the determinant.
  • The determinant of the identity matrix is always 1.
  • The determinant of a triangular matrix is equal to the product of its diagonal elements.

Are there any shortcuts for finding determinants?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts that can be used to find determinants of certain types of matrices. For example, for 2x2 matrices, the determinant can be found by simply taking the product of the diagonal elements and subtracting the product of the off-diagonal elements. Similarly, for 3x3 matrices, there is a method called Sarrus' rule that can be used to find the determinant. However, these shortcuts are not applicable to all matrices and may have limited use in certain situations.