1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Help] with Numbering System Digital Circuit

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    [Help] with Numbering System "Digital Circuit"

Hello Guys ..

iam having an exam on digital circuits and i try to work on some problems about numbering systems

and i found this problems but i couldn't solve it ..

i said that (x-3)(x-6)=x^2-11x+22
    then i said that

x^2-9x+18=x^2-11x+22
    so 2x=4 and x=2 but i didn't know what to do after that ..so please help me :))

xq6IuWH.png

Thx Guys !!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If 3 * 6 = 22, what is the base?

And this is for a logic circuits class? Really?

4. Apr 27, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

X=3 and X=6 are not the same solution at the same time, so saying that (x-3)(x-6)=ANYTHING is not helpful.

The solution falls out of Berkeman's approach immediately, but if you want an algebraic (and more complicated) method, try this:

Express the equation you are given as a function of an assumed base B and express everything in the equation as a decimal equivalent and then solve for B. It's trivial, really, whether you start with 3 or start with 6.

And REMEMBER, expressed as a decimal number, "22-base-B" is 2*B + 2 and similarly for the 11.

5. Apr 27, 2014 #4
    This was the first chapter of Digital Circuits ..an Introduction for binary and other numbering systems ...this was the first section of the course :D

and if 3 * 6 = 22
    then 3 * 6 = 2+2x then base = 8 :))

6. Apr 27, 2014 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There are 10 kinds of people in the world... :smile:

7. Apr 27, 2014 #6
    Hahahah ..i think ..it depends on the base we are using , Berkeman :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted