1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Physics Extended Essay

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    Well, I'm just finishing my first year with the IB program and we're starting our extended essay (a 4000 words investigation). Im posting here because i need help with the topic (I've chosen to do a Physics EE).
    So far I've came up with windmills and to determine factors that affect its efficiency. However i dont know if a windmill experiment is relieable (since it involves aerodynamics, which is discouraged by the IB).
    Also, I could do the relationship between the static friction coeffciente and tempeture but i don't know how reliable is this for a 4000 word essay.
    Any ideas for a new topic or some advice?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

How much of wind turbine design do you currently understand? The theoretical limit for efficiency is given by Betz's law, which is approached closely by modern wind turbine designs. Have you done any research into the current shortcomings of those modern designs (GE comes to mind) to help focus your investigation? Is temperature one of those factors?

These are the kinds of questions you should be thinking about. Let the current limitations of design guide your research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook