Help with Probably Density Function Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem that involves finding a probability density function and graphically representing the probability from the function. The person is able to solve the integral, but struggles with deriving the function from the given graph. The answer to the problem is D. 3/4. The conversation also mentions the possibility of constructing the PDF in a piecewise fashion, but the person is not familiar with this method. Finally, someone offers a hint to help find the function with a straight line as its graph.
student93

Homework Statement

Problem is attached in this post

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve the integral since I know P(X) = ∫f(x)dx=1 from a to b, however I can't figure out how to derive the function from the given graph.

Also the answer is D. 3/4.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 4.45.09 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 4.45.09 AM.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
student93 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve the integral since I know P(X) = ∫f(x)dx=1 from a to b, however I can't figure out how to derive the function from the given graph.

Also the answer is D. 3/4.

The PDF is either 0 or straight lines. Why is it so difficult to construct the PDF in a piecewise fashion?

I'm not familiar with that method, could you please elaborate and/or post a link that explains how to construct a probability density function via the piecewise method?

The probability density function is given graphically. How do you get graphically the probability from the probability density function ?

ehild

Do you not know how to find the function that has a straight line as its graph?

I second ehild's hint. You don't even need the equations.

oops, never mind, misread

1. What is a probability density function (PDF) and how is it different from a probability distribution?

A probability density function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on a certain value. It is different from a probability distribution in that the probability distribution gives the probability of each value of a random variable, while the probability density function gives the relative likelihood of each value.

2. How do you calculate the area under a probability density function curve?

The area under a probability density function curve is equal to the probability of the random variable falling within a certain range of values. This can be calculated using integration, which is the process of finding the area under a curve using calculus.

3. What is the relationship between a probability density function and a cumulative distribution function?

A cumulative distribution function (CDF) is the integral of a probability density function (PDF). This means that the CDF gives the probability that the random variable will be less than or equal to a specific value, while the PDF gives the probability of the random variable taking on a specific value.

4. Can a probability density function have negative values?

No, a probability density function cannot have negative values. This is because a probability density function represents the relative likelihood of a random variable taking on a certain value, and probabilities cannot be negative.

5. How is a probability density function used in statistical analysis?

A probability density function is used in statistical analysis to describe the probability distribution of a random variable. It can be used to calculate the probability of a specific value occurring, or to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in a statistical experiment. It is also used to generate random values for a given probability distribution.