Unsure about Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function question

In summary: Yes Chet, it is, but not a 5...it's a 5/6 i believe. I was just trying not to give him f(t-a) :pSo: \frac{5}{6}uc(t)sin(6(t-8))Oh boy. You're right. I guess I should learn how to use the tables also.ChetIn summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the inverse Laplace transform of a function and clarifies misunderstandings about the Heaviside Step Function and its relationship to the Dirac Delta Function. The final answer for the given function is determined to be (5/6)uc(t)sin(6(t-8)).
1up20x6

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Laplace transform of
F(s)=5e^(-8s)/(s2+36)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to find the inverse Laplace transform of this function, I start by factoring out (e^(-8s)) to end up with 5/(s^2+36), and that my final answer will be step(t-8)f(t-8), where f(t-8) is the inverse of 5/(s^2+36). I've checked the Laplace table and I can't find the inverse of this function.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because your understanding of the Heaviside Step Function is lacking definition. The fact that you have [itex]\int[/itex]e-8s([itex]\frac{5}{s^{2}+36}[/itex])ds is the same as saying you have a square wave with the function F(s) convoluted with it. When you integrate this, it's like integrating a Dirac-Delta function in the sense that if you do [itex]\int[/itex]δ(t-a)f(t)dt you get f(t-a). Now imagine you have a bunch of δ(s-c) "glued together". That is one basic way to define the Heaviside Step Function uc(t).

Now if your integral was just [itex]\int[/itex]e-8sds you'd have δ(t-8). However, if you have [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{e^{-8s}}{s}[/itex]ds, you get uc(t-8). This is because your integral is of the form [itex]\int[/itex]e-8sF(s)ds where your F(s) is [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex]. Now, the only difference between these two integrals is the F(s). What we are saying is we are performing the convolution between the Dirac Delta Function and a function F(s). The F(s) being [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex] though, when brought in the time domain, is just 1. So we are saying (once back in the time domain) that we have a 8 δ(t-a) "glued together", hence a square wave.

Moving on from here, if we have a F(s) that is not [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex] , but say [itex]\frac{5}{s^{2}+36}[/itex], then we are saying we have a bunch of F(s) spanning the square wave's domain. So in the time domain this would be represented as uc(t)f(t-a). This says you have a function spanning the domain of the unit impulse uc(t).

1up20x6 said:

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Laplace transform of
F(s)=5e^(-8s)/(s2+36)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to find the inverse Laplace transform of this function, I start by factoring out (e^(-8s)) to end up with 5/(s^2+36), and that my final answer will be step(t-8)f(t-8), where f(t-8) is the inverse of 5/(s^2+36). I've checked the Laplace table and I can't find the inverse of this function.

No: the inverse of ##5/(s^2 + 36)## is ##f(t)##, not ##f(t-8)##.

To find the inverse, either consult a better table, or else do it manually, by writing ##1/(s^2 + 36) ## in partial fractions involving ##1/(s+ 6i)## and ##1/(s - 6i)##, ##i = \sqrt{-1}##. Now invert each term separately and combine the results.

Isn't it 5u(t-8) sin(6(t-8))? Check a table of laplace transforms.

Chet

Yes Chet, it is, but not a 5...it's a 5/6 i believe. I was just trying not to give him f(t-a) :p

So: [itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex]uc(t)sin(6(t-8))

jaytech said:
Yes Chet, it is, but not a 5...it's a 5/6 i believe. I was just trying not to give him f(t-a) :p

So: [itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex]uc(t)sin(6(t-8))
Oh boy. You're right. I guess I should learn how to use the tables also.

Chet

What is the Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function?

The Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function, denoted as H^-1(s), is the mathematical function that represents the inverse of the Heaviside step function. It is used in the field of mathematics to solve differential equations and to analyze systems with step input signals.

What is the difference between Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function and Heaviside step function?

The Heaviside step function, denoted as H(s), is a mathematical function that is equal to 0 for negative values of the input and 1 for positive values. It is used to describe discontinuous functions and to model systems with step input signals. On the other hand, the Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function is the inverse of the Heaviside step function and is used to solve differential equations and analyze systems with step input signals.

How is the Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function calculated?

The Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function can be calculated using the inverse Laplace transform. This involves finding the inverse Laplace transform of the function in question, which is then used to find the Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function. The exact method for calculating the inverse Laplace transform depends on the specific function and its properties.

What are the applications of the Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function?

The Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function has various applications in the field of mathematics and engineering. It is used to solve differential equations, analyze systems with step input signals, and model physical systems with discontinuous functions. It is also used in control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

Are there any limitations to the Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function?

Like any mathematical function, the Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function has its limitations. It can only be used for certain types of functions and systems, and its calculation can become complex for more complicated functions. Additionally, the Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function may not have a closed-form solution for some functions, making it difficult to calculate analytically.