1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unsure about Inverse Laplace Heaviside Function question

1. Apr 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the inverse Laplace transform of
    F(s)=5e^(-8s)/(s2+36)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that to find the inverse Laplace transform of this function, I start by factoring out (e^(-8s)) to end up with 5/(s^2+36), and that my final answer will be step(t-8)f(t-8), where f(t-8) is the inverse of 5/(s^2+36). I've checked the Laplace table and I can't find the inverse of this function.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2014 #2
    It's because your understanding of the Heaviside Step Function is lacking definition. The fact that you have [itex]\int[/itex]e-8s([itex]\frac{5}{s^{2}+36}[/itex])ds is the same as saying you have a square wave with the function F(s) convoluted with it. When you integrate this, it's like integrating a Dirac-Delta function in the sense that if you do [itex]\int[/itex]δ(t-a)f(t)dt you get f(t-a). Now imagine you have a bunch of δ(s-c) "glued together". That is one basic way to define the Heaviside Step Function uc(t).

Now if your integral was just [itex]\int[/itex]e-8sds you'd have δ(t-8). However, if you have [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{e^{-8s}}{s}[/itex]ds, you get uc(t-8). This is because your integral is of the form [itex]\int[/itex]e-8sF(s)ds where your F(s) is [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex]. Now, the only difference between these two integrals is the F(s). What we are saying is we are performing the convolution between the Dirac Delta Function and a function F(s). The F(s) being [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex] though, when brought in the time domain, is just 1. So we are saying (once back in the time domain) that we have a 8 δ(t-a) "glued together", hence a square wave.

Moving on from here, if we have a F(s) that is not [itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex] , but say [itex]\frac{5}{s^{2}+36}[/itex], then we are saying we have a bunch of F(s) spanning the square wave's domain. So in the time domain this would be represented as uc(t)f(t-a). This says you have a function spanning the domain of the unit impulse uc(t).

4. Apr 11, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No: the inverse of ##5/(s^2 + 36)## is ##f(t)##, not ##f(t-8)##.

To find the inverse, either consult a better table, or else do it manually, by writing ##1/(s^2 + 36) ## in partial fractions involving ##1/(s+ 6i)## and ##1/(s - 6i)##, ##i = \sqrt{-1}##. Now invert each term separately and combine the results.

5. Apr 11, 2014 #4
    Isn't it 5u(t-8) sin(6(t-8))? Check a table of laplace transforms.

Chet

6. Apr 11, 2014 #5
    Yes Chet, it is, but not a 5...it's a 5/6 i believe. I was just trying not to give him f(t-a) :p

So: [itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex]uc(t)sin(6(t-8))

7. Apr 11, 2014 #6
    Oh boy. You're right. I guess I should learn how to use the tables also.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted