1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with projectile motion, finding x

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A balloon is attached to a 3m high pole. On the ground is a mortar that fires at a velocity of 7m/s at an angle of 55degrees. How far away does the mortar have to be to hit the balloon?

2. Relevant equations
    y=tan(theta)x-g/(2v0cos2(theta)x2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I rearranged to make a quadratic equation from the equation above and made

g/(2v0cos2(theta)x2 - tan(theta)x+y=0

-9.81m/s2/(2*(7m/s)2(cos2(55deg)x2 - tan(55)x+3m

and ended up with 1.58m and -6.34m

I understand that there will be two solutions because the projectile can hit the balloon on the way up and the way down but i dont think these answers are correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You seem to have a sign error. However, with the given numbers, I find there's no solution.

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3
    in my lecture the correct answer was something like 1.9 or something and i forget the other one but when i plugged my answer 1.58 back into y=tan(theta)x-g/(2vcos^2(theta)x^2 it comes out as the right y value - 3m.

is there a chance im using the completely wrong equation for this?

5. Oct 2, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're using the right equation. Here's a plot of the trajectory with the given numbers. The projectile never reaches a height of 3 m.

Attached Files:

6. Oct 2, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When I plug in x=1.58 m, I get y=1.50 m.

7. Oct 2, 2014 #6
    I feel a little lost then. so for a projectile firing at 7m/s at 55 degrees trying to hit a balloon 3m in the air, it will never actually hit it?

8. Oct 2, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Right. It's not going fast enough to reach a height of 3 m when it's aimed at 55 degrees off the horizontal. In fact, even if you shot it straight up, it wouldn't reach that height.

9. Oct 2, 2014 #8
    im following now. max height is 1.68m if i worked it out correctly so perhaps my notes are wrong. I'll compare notes with a friend and post again. thanks for your help so far

10. Oct 2, 2014 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure how you got that number. There's something weird going on with your calculations.

11. Oct 2, 2014 #10
    for max height i used

v0^2sin^2(theta)/2g

72*sin2(55) / 2 * 9.81 = 1.676

12. Oct 2, 2014 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Ah, okay, I thought you were referring to shooting the projectile straight up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted