Help with projectile motion-type question

• Thread starter aisha001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, a 507.0 g model rocket is accidentally bumped off the top edge of a 40.0 m high wall with a horizontal speed of 0.630 m/s. The rocket's engine ignites and exerts a constant 24.1 N horizontal thrust away from the wall. To solve for the distance from the base of the wall where the rocket lands, set up two velocities as a function of time in the x and y directions and use the time it takes to hit the ground in the y direction to solve for the distance in the x direction.
aisha001

Homework Statement

A 507.0 g model rocket is resting horizontally at the top edge of a 40.0 m high wall when it is accidentally bumped. The bump pushes it off the edge with a horizontal speed of 0.630 m/s and at the same time causes the engine to ignite. When the engine fires, it exerts a constant 24.1 N horizontal thrust away from the wall. How far from the base of the wall does the rocket land?

I don't know where to start - I am not asking for the answer, just some direction on where to start...

If anyone could help me on this, it would be fantastic. I am pretty much stumped! Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well being a rocket nut I can't resist, but at the same time the problem is poorly stated IMO. I'm assuming the rocket engine is firing horizontal/edit never mind missed that part.

(However that will not remain so, as the rocket "weathercocks" so the nose is pointed increasingly downward, but I doubt that is intended for consideration)

so set up two velocities as a function of time: one in the x direction, given the initial velocity plus that acceleration privided by the motor and the other in the y. You can figure the time it hits the ground from the latter, ie a bullet shot horizontally from a rifle in theory should hit the ground at the same time as a bullet simply dropped from the height of the barrel. Does that help a little?
John S

Last edited:
How would you solve this if there was no rocket acceleration in the x?

What is projectile motion and how does it work?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola and is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational pull.

What is the formula for calculating projectile motion?

The formula for calculating projectile motion is:

Horizontal distance (x) = (initial velocity * time * cos(angle of launch))

Vertical distance (y) = (initial velocity * time * sin(angle of launch)) - (1/2 * acceleration due to gravity * time^2)

What are the key variables in a projectile motion problem?

The key variables in a projectile motion problem are initial velocity, angle of launch, time, acceleration due to gravity, and the horizontal and vertical distances travelled.

How do you solve for the maximum height and range in a projectile motion problem?

To solve for the maximum height, use the formula: maximum height (h) = (initial velocity)^2 * (sin(angle of launch))^2 / (2 * acceleration due to gravity)

To solve for the range, use the formula: range (R) = (initial velocity)^2 * sin(2 * angle of launch) / acceleration due to gravity

What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, and launching a rocket into space. These all follow a curved path due to the influence of gravity.