Help with proving irrationality

• Thread starter pyrosilver
  • Start date
In summary, the book defines a prime number as a natural number that is impossible to write down as a product of two other natural numbers unless one of the numbers is prime. Spivak also discusses how to prove things using the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. He then asks a question about homework, and asks for help in answering it. The book explains that if a number is prime, then it is impossible to factor it down to its prime components. Spivak asks if this fact means anything for square root and cube root, and the book says that it does not. However, it does provide a method for proving that a number is irrational if it is not a prime.
pyrosilver
From Spivak's 4th edition

I'm having some difficulties knowing how to prove these things I need to prove. If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

Homework Equations

The book defines a prime number as this: A natural number p is called a prime number if it is impossible to write p=ab for natural numbers a and b unless one of these is p, and the other 1. If n>1 is not a prime, then n=ab, with a and b both < n, if either a or b is not a prime it can be factored similarly.

Homework Statement

I got a fine but then

A fundamental theorem about integers states that this factorization (was talking about factoring stuff down to primes in previous problem) is unique except for the order of the factors. Thus, for example, 28 can never be written as a product of primes one of which is 3, nor can it be written in a way that involves 2 only once.

b. Using this fact, prove that sqrt(n) is irrational unless n = m2 for some natural number m.

c. Prove more generally that ksqrt(n) is irrational unless n = mk

I am so confused on what to do, and how that fact helps me? I was thinking of trying to do a proof by contradition, and attempt to show that sqrt(n) is rational? But I'm not sure how to do this because then I could just prove n=m2. i have no idea how to show that if n =/= m2, sqrt(n) is irrational. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this mean anything at all for b?

Proof by contradiction. Assume sqrt(n) is rational and n=/=m2 for any rational m.

sqrt(n) = p/q where p,q are rational numbers.

if n =/= m2, p/q =/= m. A rational number over a rational number has to rational. =><=

You've got the right start. Assume sqrt(n) rational. So n=(a/b)^2. You can also assume a and b have no common prime factors (otherwise you could just divide them out and get a/b in 'lowest terms'). Now that means b^2*n=a^2. Suppose a prime p divides b. Then it also divides a^2 which means it divides a. But we assumed it doesn't. So b isn't divisible by any primes. What is b?

there's a part in the book above that question about proving the irrationality of cube root, square root, 5-root.. et c and then it tells you to think about how that wouldn't work if it was something like 4- root for example. I think that part could help you

What is the definition of irrationality in scientific terms?

In scientific terms, irrationality refers to the inability of a number or quantity to be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be represented as a fraction or a decimal that terminates or repeats.

How do scientists prove that a number is irrational?

There are a few different methods that scientists use to prove the irrationality of a number. One common method is to assume that the number is rational and then arrive at a contradiction, which shows that the number cannot be rational. Another method involves using the decimal expansion of the number and showing that it is non-repeating and non-terminating.

What are some examples of irrational numbers?

Some common examples of irrational numbers include pi (3.14159...), the square root of 2 (1.41421...), and the golden ratio (1.61803...). These numbers cannot be expressed as fractions and have infinite decimal expansions without any repeating patterns.

How is irrationality related to transcendence?

Irrational numbers are a subset of the set of transcendental numbers, which are numbers that cannot be solutions to any algebraic equation with integer coefficients. This means that all irrational numbers are transcendental, but not all transcendental numbers are irrational.

Why is proving irrationality important in mathematics and science?

Proving irrationality is important because it helps us better understand the properties of numbers and their relationships. It also allows us to make more accurate calculations and predictions in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. Additionally, it has practical applications in cryptography and computer science.