Help with related rates problem

In summary, the problem involves a 16-ft ladder sliding down a wall at a rate of 4 ft/sec. The bottom of the ladder is 5ft from the wall at t=0. The task is to find the velocity of the top of the ladder at t=s. It is a related rates problem and the solution may involve finding dx/dt or dy/dt. The question also mentions some differences from a similar problem in the notes. The deadline for the assignment is in a few hours.
bl4ke360

Homework Statement

A 16-ft ladder is sliding down a wall at a rate of 4 ft/sec. Find the velocity of the top of the ladder at t=s if the bottom is 5ft from the wall at t=0.

Homework Equations

It's a related rates problem.
Not sure how I'm supposed to incorporate t=s into the problem, or if I'm supposed to solve for dx/dt or dy/dt.
Or if I'm even on the right track.

The Attempt at a Solution

2cei0xx.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thought I would add, this is a similar problem that was in my notes, but there are differences between the two problems such as the direction the rate of the ladder is sliding and I have to find it at t=s.

16bmzie.jpg

This is due in a few hours I hope I get a response by then.

Just turned it in, thanks for the help everybody :)

What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of problem in mathematics where the rates of change of two or more quantities are related to each other. These problems often involve finding the rate of change of one quantity at a specific point in time, given the rates of change of other related quantities.

How do I solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you will need to first identify the given information and the unknown quantity that needs to be solved for. Then, you will need to use the given information to set up an equation relating the rates of change of the different quantities. Finally, you can use algebra and calculus techniques to solve the equation and find the rate of change of the unknown quantity.

What are some common techniques used to solve related rates problems?

Some common techniques used to solve related rates problems include the chain rule, implicit differentiation, and setting up and solving a proportion. These techniques involve using calculus and algebra principles to manipulate the given information and solve for the unknown quantity.

Can you give an example of a related rates problem and its solution?

Sure, here is an example: A spherical balloon is being inflated at a rate of 3 cubic inches per second. At the same time, the radius of the balloon is increasing at a rate of 2 inches per second. At what rate is the surface area of the balloon increasing when the radius is 5 inches?

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for the surface area of a sphere, A = 4πr^2, and the chain rule. First, we differentiate both sides with respect to time to get dA/dt = 8πr(dr/dt). Then, we plug in the given values to get dA/dt = 8π(5)(2) = 80π cubic inches per second. So, the surface area is increasing at a rate of 80π cubic inches per second when the radius is 5 inches.

Are there any tips for solving related rates problems more efficiently?

One helpful tip for solving related rates problems is to draw a diagram or make a table to organize the given information and visualize the problem. This can help you better understand the relationships between the different quantities and make it easier to set up the equation to solve for the unknown rate of change.