Help with secant question , thanks

In summary: It's the function that takes x2 and returns the slope of the secant line from (x1,f(x1)) to (x2,f(x2)).
Zephyr91
here is my question, *thanks for helping* i need it badly

Consider the curve y = f(x) where f(x) = (x-5)(2X+3)

A) Show that P1 = (x1,y1) = (0,-15) is on the curve and find and expression for the slope of the secant joining P1 with any other point P2 = (x2,f(x2)) , x2 cannot be 0 on the curve

b) Show that there is always a point x*, lying between x1 = 0 and x2 such that the slope of the tangent line to the curve at x* is equal to the slope of the secant joining P1 and P2

ok and i am stuck on a) how would i go about solving it, would i take the derivate of the curve then sub the points from P1 to find P2?

Physics news on Phys.org
The secant line is just the line joining (x1,f(x1)) and (x2,f(x2)). There is no derivative involved - just a plain old slope.

For A) what is the value of f(x) when you plug in x=0? Edit: OK, a little too late posting

okay so plan old slope i would find it by doing:

m = x2 -x1 / f(x2) - f(x1)

or

slope of secant = f(0+h) - f(0) / h

m = [(o+h)-5][2(0+h)+3] - (-5)(3) / h
m = (h-5)(2h+3) + 15 / h
m = 2h^2 + 3h + 10h -15 +15 / h
m= 2h-7
?

Last edited:
The first, except it's upside down. It's deltay/deltax.

do i have enough info to complete the first, i don't really know how to go about doing it...

Zephyr91 said:
do i have enough info to complete the first, i don't really know how to go about doing it...

I don't know what you don't know. Are you worried that you don't know x2?

yeah i donty know x2

Just do it anyway. What's f(x2)? Use the definition of f.

1. What is a secant line?

A secant line is a line that intersects a curve at two or more points.

2. How do I find the slope of a secant line?

To find the slope of a secant line, you need to choose two points on the curve and calculate the change in the y-values divided by the change in the x-values.

3. Can you explain the secant method in calculus?

The secant method is a numerical method used to approximate the roots of a function. It involves drawing a secant line between two points on the curve and using the x-intercept of the secant line as an approximation for the root.

4. How is a secant line different from a tangent line?

A secant line intersects the curve at two or more points, while a tangent line only intersects the curve at one point. Additionally, the slope of a secant line changes as the two points on the curve are moved closer together, while the slope of a tangent line remains constant.

5. Can you provide an example of using the secant method to find a root?

Sure, let's say we want to find the root of the function f(x) = x^2 - 4. We choose two points on the curve, (1,f(1)) and (3,f(3)), and use the secant method to find the x-intercept of the secant line. This gives us the approximation x = 2, which is the root of the function.