Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help With *Simple* Projectile Motion Problems!

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    1. You accidentally throw your car keys horizontally at 5.0 m/s from a cliff 78 m high. How far from the base of the cliff should you look for the keys?

2. Maxiumu Horizontal Distance
    Range = [Vi^2]/2 x (2sinTcosT)(G)

I know that it's a very simple problem, but I need help getting the steps down. I believe that the above formula is correct, but I could be wrong. If the above formula is correct, then how would I find the measurment of angle "T"?

-shoez

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    I think you are making it too complicated.

Write out your variables:

initial velocity:
    final velocity:
    distance:
    time:
    acceleration:

based on the variables you have, you should be able to use a distance formula.
    I am unsure which variable you are using right now...

Hope this helps.

4. Oct 21, 2008 #3

Well, it's a bit too late, I just submitted my final (and incorrect) answer to WebAssign. But here's what I know so far:

initial velocity: 5.0m/s
    final velocity: (I believe it is irrelevant to the problem at hand.)
    distance: (X)
    time: (?) Unsure how to solve for time in this case.
    acceleration: 9.8m/s (Gravity)

My teacher is a great guy, but he recently emigrated from Pakistan and has a very thick accent, which makes it difficult to understand him. I'm sure he instructed us to do solve the problems correctly, but I didn't come away with much on this subject.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook