Help with solid of revolution volume question

In summary, when using shell's method for integration, it is important to carefully inspect the graphs to determine the correct limits of integration. Blindly solving equations without considering the graphs can lead to incorrect answers.
student93

Homework Statement

The problem is attached in this post.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used shell's method and set up my integral as 2π∫(4-x)(x^2)dx, from -2 to 2 and got an answer of 128π/3 which is incorrect. The actual answer is 40π/3.

I set my radius as 4-x and I set my height as x^2.

To calculate the limits of integration with respect to x (since I used shell's method), I set x^2=2 and got -2 and 2.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-02-03 at 10.40.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-02-03 at 10.40.46 PM.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Your setup is correct, but your limits are not. You have to integrate over the region with respect to x, and stay inside of that region too. Going outside would mean you're creating shells that aren't part of the volume you're calculating. It's usually easiest to find your limits by inspection rather than calculation. In this case, the leftmost side of the region is the origin, and then the rightmost side (as given in the problem) is x = 2. Try those limits instead.

student93 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used shell's method and set up my integral as 2π∫(4-x)(x^2)dx, from -2 to 2 and got an answer of 128π/3 which is incorrect. The actual answer is 40π/3.

I set my radius as 4-x and I set my height as x^2.

To calculate the limits of integration with respect to x (since I used shell's method), I set x^2=2 and got -2 and 2.

You are integrating over a larger region than you should. The part of your region between -2 and 0 isn't really 'enclosed' by your curves.

Thanks, I ended up getting the correct answer after using the right limits. Also, do you have any suggestions as to how to make sure that I've used the right limits of integration in other similar problems? How do you know when to calculate the limits of integration or when to inspect the graphs for the limits?

student93 said:
Thanks, I ended up getting the correct answer after using the right limits. Also, do you have any suggestions as to how to make sure that I've used the right limits of integration in other similar problems? How do you know when to calculate the limits of integration or when to inspect the graphs for the limits?

Make graphs and inspect the graphs for the limits. Always. Don't just blindly solve an equation without looking at what it means for the graphs.

1. How do I find the volume of a solid of revolution?

In order to find the volume of a solid of revolution, you will need to use the formula V = π∫a2dx, where a is the radius of the cross-section of the solid and dx is the thickness of each slice of the solid.

2. What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a regular solid?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. A regular solid, on the other hand, is a three-dimensional shape that has equal side lengths and angles, such as a cube or sphere.

3. Can I use calculus to find the volume of a solid of revolution?

Yes, you will need to use calculus in order to find the volume of a solid of revolution. Specifically, you will need to use integration to calculate the volume of each slice of the solid and then add them together to find the total volume.

4. What are some real-life applications of solids of revolution?

Solids of revolution have many real-life applications, such as in engineering and architecture, where they are used to design and create various structures and objects. They are also used in physics to model objects with rotational symmetry, such as planets and stars.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

Yes, there are some alternative methods for finding the volume of a solid of revolution, such as using the disk method or the shell method. These methods involve breaking down the solid into smaller, simpler shapes and then using geometric formulas to find the volume.