1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with textbook question -- Where did the factor of 2 come from?

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    • moved into h/w help, so template is missing
    From "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Randall D. Knight page 1006. A 1 m long, 1.0 mm diameter nichrome heater wire is connected to a 12 V battery. Find the magnetic field strength 1 cm away from the wire. This problem is solved in the book, but they calculate the magnetic field with: μ/2π instead of μ/4π that is in the Biot-Savart Law. Everything else in my calculations was correct, so I'm wondering why they used this? The full equation they used is: B=μ/2π(I/d) related from the Biot Savart Law for a current carrying wire B ={μ/4π}{IΔs×r/r^2} the 'r' in the numerator is the direction of r not the magnitude.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you see the preceding example (continued onto the top of page 1006)
    where they used Biot-Savart to obtain the equation for B_wire?

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3
    Reading it now. I don't understand how they evaluated that integral?

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Apr 14, 2016 #5
    Unfortunately I don't have wolfram alpha pro, I do need to brush up on my calc though. Isn't L'hopitals rules dealing with indefinite integrals like this one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted