Why does the magnetic field formula use μ/2π instead of μ/4π?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Julia Coggins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Textbook
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Julia Coggins
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
moved into h/w help, so template is missing
From "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Randall D. Knight page 1006. A 1 m long, 1.0 mm diameter nichrome heater wire is connected to a 12 V battery. Find the magnetic field strength 1 cm away from the wire. This problem is solved in the book, but they calculate the magnetic field with: μ/2π instead of μ/4π that is in the Biot-Savart Law. Everything else in my calculations was correct, so I'm wondering why they used this? The full equation they used is: B=μ/2π(I/d) related from the Biot Savart Law for a current carrying wire B ={μ/4π}{IΔs×r/r^2} the 'r' in the numerator is the direction of r not the magnitude.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you see the preceding example (continued onto the top of page 1006)
where they used Biot-Savart to obtain the equation for B_wire?
 
Reading it now. I don't understand how they evaluated that integral?
 
Unfortunately I don't have wolfram alpha pro, I do need to brush up on my calc though. Isn't l'hospital's rules dealing with indefinite integrals like this one?