1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with the inverse of some functions

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi!
    Does anyone know how to solve the inverse of these functions?
    • y=(4x^2+2x-2)/(8x^2-4x+6)
    • y=(x+1)/(x^2)

Sincerely, I would appreciate your help with these exercises.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first one: 8yx^2-4xy+6y=4x^2+2x-2

For the second exercise:
    yx^2=x+1
    yx^2-x=1

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you now have a second order polynomial in x. How do you solve this if you assume y to be fixed?

4. Jan 20, 2015 #3
    I've tried to solve it by using a factorization, but I get lost on the next steps, and I don't know how to do it exactly. I attach a file with my attempts (I don´t know if I am correct or not).

Attached Files:

5. Jan 20, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jan 20, 2015 #5
    Honestly, I only used before the quadratic formula, but with its derivation I was not familiarized.

7. Jan 20, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

Both of these reduce to quadratic equations.
    When I invert functions, I normally like to swap my x and y variables and solve for y in terms of x. It is just the same to solve for x in terms of y, but old habits die hard, and I am used to looking for functions of x.
    If you do this, you will be able to solve for y by treating functions of x as coefficients (A =f(x) , B=g(x), C=h(x) ) and using the quadratic equation.

8. Jan 20, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is stopping you from solving the quadratic equations, to find x in terms of y?

Of course, each quadratic will have two roots (at least for most values of y) so you will have two values of x for each y, and you need to worry about what that means.

9. Jan 20, 2015 #8
    So you are telling me that I can solve it by using the quadratic formula and finding the valuex of x?

10. Jan 20, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

11. Jan 20, 2015 #10

statdad

Homework Helper

What are the domains? if the function is not 1-1 there will not be a unique inverse.

12. Jan 20, 2015 #11
    Ok, I think I have the answer for the second exercise, and now I share with you
    y(x)=(1+-sqrt(4x+1))/2x

13. Jan 20, 2015 #12
    Now I share the answer for the first exercise, I expect don't have mistakes.

y(x) = (2 x+1)/(4 (2 x-1))±sqrt(-44 x^2+12 x+9)/(4 (2 x-1))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted