Help with Thermodynamics assignment

In summary, a student is struggling with a level 3 engineering assignment, particularly questions 2, 4, 6, and 7. They have worked out question 1 to be 7.3 icebergs per year and 7.3 x 10^3 volume. They do not have the resources or prior knowledge to calculate the other questions, except for 3 and 5 which are theoretical. They are asking for help and have been reminded to show their work first.
connorx99
Homework Statement
Summary: Scenario of towing an iceberg from Antarctica to a desert country. Need Help with 2 or 3 questions
Relevant Equations
Energy= Power x Time, Speed= distance/time. None of us are sure of what other equations to use. We think it is pure maths/physics knowledge.
Hi, I am doing a level 3 engineering diploma, myself and the rest of my class are struggling to answer most of the questions on the attached assignment paper particularly questions 2, 4, and 6 and 7. I have worked out q1 to be 7.3 icebergs per year needed and 7.3 x 10^3 volume needed. Most of the other questions we do not have the resources or the prior knowledge to calculate. Q3 and 5 are written theoretical questions which I can do myself. Any help on any of the questions would be greatly appreciated by all of us.

Connor.

Attachments

• Thermal Properties of Matter Task 2.pdf
    200.4 KB · Views: 241
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Please show us the work you have done on the questions so far. Which one specifically do you want help first with? Show us how far you've gotten on it, and we can offer some hints. We can't help you until you show us your work (that's in the PF rules). Thanks.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of science that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed in physical systems, and how this affects the properties of matter.

2. How can thermodynamics be applied in real-life situations?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and power plants. It also plays a crucial role in chemical reactions and materials science.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature through a finite number of processes.

4. How do you calculate the efficiency of a thermodynamic system?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic system is calculated by dividing the useful output of energy by the total input of energy. For example, in a heat engine, the efficiency is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input.

5. What are some common misconceptions about thermodynamics?

One common misconception about thermodynamics is that it only applies to large-scale systems, when in fact it can also be applied to small-scale systems such as individual molecules. Another misconception is that the laws of thermodynamics only apply to closed systems, when they also apply to open systems. Additionally, some may think that thermodynamics only deals with heat, when it also deals with other forms of energy such as work and potential energy.