1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assignment help - Determining bearing friction?

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have a query with one of my most recent assignments.

This one is called 'The flywheel' to do with moments of inertia. I have completed the first lot of calculations using the formula no problem.

My average experimental value came out at 0.49 kg m(2)

And the theory calculation came out at 0.50 kg m(2)

Question 2 & 3 are the ones I'm struggling with:

Question number 2 says to discuss the effect of bearing friction - I am really struggling to find anything on this.

Question 3 asks how the effect of friction can be determined? I'm struggling with this too. Any help would be massively appreciated..

Here are some pictures of the assignment, cheers.

Q1_zps676aa0b3.jpg

Q2_zps3839237f.jpg

Q3_zps300554fd.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just as linear friction is a force opposing relative motion of two bodies with flat surfaces in contact, bearing friction is a torque opposing relative rotational motion about the bearing's axis of two bodies in contact. Again, there will be a static value, typically larger than the kinetic value. Does that help?

4. Nov 28, 2014 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Q2. You most likely did not take the frictional torque into consideration in your experiment.
    It opposes the rotational motion thereby decreasing the net torque acting on the
    flywheel. Consider how this would influency your measurement of falling time
    and thus the experimental value of the moment of inertia of the flywheel.

Q3 Asks how you can put a value to this frictional effect.
    Can you maybe calculate by how much it changed the
    falling time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted