Assignment help - Determining bearing friction?

In summary, the conversation is about a forum member's query regarding their assignment on 'The flywheel' and moments of inertia. They have completed the first set of calculations without any problem and have obtained an average experimental value of 0.49 kg m(2) and a theory calculation of 0.50 kg m(2). They are struggling with questions 2 and 3, which ask about the effect of bearing friction and how it can be determined. The conversation also includes a brief explanation of bearing friction and its role in opposing rotational motion, as well as a suggestion to consider its influence on the measurement of falling time and experimental value of the moment of inertia.
bikertomm
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have a query with one of my most recent assignments.

This one is called 'The flywheel' to do with moments of inertia. I have completed the first lot of calculations using the formula no problem.

My average experimental value came out at 0.49 kg m(2)

And the theory calculation came out at 0.50 kg m(2)

Question 2 & 3 are the ones I'm struggling with:

Question number 2 says to discuss the effect of bearing friction - I am really struggling to find anything on this.

Question 3 asks how the effect of friction can be determined? I'm struggling with this too. Any help would be massively appreciated..

Here are some pictures of the assignment, cheers.

Q1_zps676aa0b3.jpg

Q2_zps3839237f.jpg

Q3_zps300554fd.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Just as linear friction is a force opposing relative motion of two bodies with flat surfaces in contact, bearing friction is a torque opposing relative rotational motion about the bearing's axis of two bodies in contact. Again, there will be a static value, typically larger than the kinetic value. Does that help?

Q2. You most likely did not take the frictional torque into consideration in your experiment.
It opposes the rotational motion thereby decreasing the net torque acting on the
flywheel. Consider how this would influency your measurement of falling time
and thus the experimental value of the moment of inertia of the flywheel.

Q3 Asks how you can put a value to this frictional effect.
Can you maybe calculate by how much it changed the
falling time?

1. What is bearing friction and why is it important to determine?

Bearing friction refers to the resistance or force that is generated when two surfaces, such as a rotating shaft and bearing, come into contact with each other. It is important to determine bearing friction because it directly affects the performance and efficiency of mechanical systems. High levels of bearing friction can lead to increased energy consumption, reduced speed or precision, and even premature wear and failure of components.

2. How is bearing friction measured or calculated?

Bearing friction can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a tribometer, which applies a specific load and measures the resulting frictional force. Alternatively, bearing friction can be calculated using mathematical models that take into account factors such as the type of bearing, surface materials, and operating conditions.

3. What are the factors that influence bearing friction?

There are several factors that can influence bearing friction, including surface roughness, lubrication, load, speed, and temperature. In general, smoother surfaces and proper lubrication can help reduce bearing friction, while higher loads, speeds, and temperatures can increase it.

4. How can bearing friction be minimized?

To minimize bearing friction, it is important to select the right type of bearing for the specific application and operating conditions. Using high-quality, properly lubricated bearings and ensuring they are installed and maintained correctly can also help reduce friction. Additionally, optimizing factors such as load, speed, and temperature can help minimize bearing friction.

5. What are the potential consequences of ignoring bearing friction?

If bearing friction is ignored, it can lead to various consequences, such as reduced performance and efficiency of the system, increased energy consumption, and premature wear and failure of components. This can result in costly repairs, downtime, and potential safety hazards. Therefore, it is important to accurately determine and address bearing friction in order to ensure the proper functioning and longevity of mechanical systems.