1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with torque and equilibrium

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1
    Thanks for the many helpful posts/answers I've found through google! I ran into one I can't figure out, any help is much appreciated!...

One end of a uniform meter stick is placed against a vertical wall. The other end is held by a lightweight cord that makes an angle @ with the stick. The coefficient of static friction between the end of the meter stick and the wall is .370.

Let the angle betwewen the cord and the stick be @=15 degrees. A block of the same weight as the meter stick is suspended from the stick, as shown, at a distance x from the wall. What is the minimum value of x for which the stick will remain in equilibrium?

Here is a quick illustration I made... www.theshaggy.com/meter_stick.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2
    I tried setting

sin@*T = m*g*x + m*g*(L/2) ...making tension... T = m*g*(x+L/2)/sin@

so the F_x = u*cos@*T ///u=coefficient of friction

and F_y = m*g*(x+L/2) - T*sin@

the I'd set them equal to eachother, which ended up wrong. I think I'm on the right track but can't figure out where I am going wrong.

4. Jun 8, 2006 #3
    Equillibrium

Please make the F_y equation clear.Dimensions do not match

The two equations might be as follows:
    T*sin@*L=M*g*0.5L+M*g*x

and

2*M*g=T*sin@+u*T*cos@
    These two equations are considering the rotational and translational equillibrium of the body

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?