1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torques in equilibrium w/ angle

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    on a meter stick the pivot point is placed at 1/4 its length; predict the force needed to balance the meter stick by pulling upward on the end of it with a string making an angle of 30 degrees w/ respect to the vertical.

Me trying to solve it:
    sigma T=0
    T1+T2=0
    T1 = 0 <--this is the pivot point, i think it equals 0 b/c we what to reach equilibrium
    T2 = rFsin(theta)
    0+rFsin(theta)
    F=-0/(rsin(theta)) ???

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's the '=0' in 'T1+T2=0' that says we're to reach equilibrium. T1 is the torque from the gravitational force. Where is the centre of mass of the stick? How far from the pivot point? What torque does it exert?
    As for the string, it's 30 degrees to the vertical. Be careful about sine versus cosine. (As a check, I always think to myself, what if the specified angle were zero? Would the force be zero or max?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook