Help With Understanding why weight in the x direction is MG*SIN*Theta

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wedge on an inclined plane and the confusion surrounding the formula for weight in the x direction. It is clarified that the x-axis is actually the hypotenuse and the y-axis is the normal force perpendicular to the displacement of the block. The formula for weight in the x direction is MG*SIN(theta) and can also be found using Pythagoras' theorem or Newton's laws of motion. The conversation also includes a diagram to help explain the concept.
Rabscuttle
This isn't a homework problem or anything, If I don't think about the formula that I use, and just plug in numbers I get the right answer. But I feel like a robot doing so, and it bothers me.

Homework Statement

On a typical problem where a wedge sits on an inclines plane, I am given the angle of the slope in degrees And the Mass of the object. I draw my right triangle and using the old convention of making the height of the right triangle equal to "O" (for opposite) and the base equal to "A" (for adjacent) and the hypotaneus. "H"

I set my Y axis along the normal. and my X perpendicular. I assume that now my hypotenous represents Weight in the X direction since my "O" is Weight.

The formula for the Weight in the X direction is MG*SIN(theta) as it says in the book.

Using methods I know I get MG/SIN(theta)

I know how to get MG*SIN(theta), by drawing my triangle elsewhere. I just have no idea why they are different.

I'm not sure if I am being unclear, I wish I could upload a diagram.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get MG/sinθ?

howie8594 said:
Where did you get MG/sinθ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=51962&stc=1&d=1350360235.png

Attachments

• tringle.png
    tringle.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 3,845
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah I could see how anyone would be confused by that.

This is going to be hard to explain without a diagram, so try to follow along and let me know if you need clarification on anything.

You're just looking at the diagram wrong.

You have the diagram you drew right? It's much easier to understand if you draw a box of mass m on the slope.

Below that box, you can draw a line straight down representing mg. Now draw a line perpendicular to the slope below the box (perpendicular to the direction the box would slide). It's like drawing the line for the normal force but inside the triangle instead of outside it. The angle between the two lines you just drew will be the same as the angle of the slope with respect to the horizontal.

Now this might be a little confusing. Draw a line connecting those two other lines. That's the x-axis and it should be parallel to the slope. Yeah, the x-axis is not "A" in your diagram. It's actually the hypotenuse in your diagram. The y-axis by the way, is the normal force line perpendicular to the displacement of the box. There will be a 90° angle between the x and y axes. The hypotenuse should be straight down labeled mg.

Now you know mg, and you know the angle between mg and the y-axis (or normal force). From that, you can get the x component which again, should be parallel to the slope.

You should find that the x-component equals mgsinθ.

I know it's hard to understand this without a diagram so don't hesitate to ask stuff.

Try remembering it like this. The gravitational pull F = mg is made up of 2 components:
the slope directed component - mgsin θ
and the elastic force.
If you have a mass on a horizontal table, the mass pressures the table with its weight mg, but also the table is pressuring the block back by -mg - Newton's 3rd and 1st law essentially.

The thing is now, the elastic force between the block and the surface still exists, but the slope surface doesn't recognize it's being pressured by mg, a part of that mg is missing so to speak.

Imagine a right angled triangle - F = mg is the hypothenusis - the elastic force and the slope directed gravitational pull are the sides. Apply knowledge of Pythagoras himself and you will find what the components are.
To prove it you can apply the a² + b² = c², where the sides are mg sinθ and mg cosθ and the hypothenusis is mg.Or by Newton's laws of motion - the 1st law states the a mass will stay still or will move with a constant speed without changing direction when the resultant force influencing the mass is 0. If the block is still on the slope at 1st and starts moving, then it has to gain the force somewhere otherwise you'd be contradicting Newton's laws.

If I've understood the question correctly this is the diagram needed...

Attachments

• Forces on a box.jpg
    Forces on a box.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 7,387
Yes, except the theta should be in between mg and mgcos(theta).

After reading the replies I understand why I was wrong. Now it seems obvious to me :p. Thank you all for the diagram and explanation.

1. What is the significance of weight in the x direction in the equation MG*SIN*Theta?

The weight in the x direction, represented as MG*SIN*Theta, is an important component of the overall weight of an object. It represents the force of gravity acting on the object in the horizontal direction, and is essential in calculating the net force and acceleration of the object.

2. How is the value of MG*SIN*Theta determined?

The value of MG*SIN*Theta is determined by multiplying the mass of the object (M) by the gravitational acceleration (G) and the sine of the angle (Theta) between the object's weight and the horizontal direction. This calculation is based on the trigonometric relationship between the angle and the sides of a right triangle.

3. Why is the weight in the x direction important in physics?

The weight in the x direction is important in physics because it helps determine the overall weight and forces acting on an object. It also plays a crucial role in understanding an object's motion and acceleration, as it is one of the components of the net force acting on the object.

4. How does the weight in the x direction affect an object's motion?

The weight in the x direction affects an object's motion by contributing to the net force acting on the object. If the weight in the x direction is greater than any opposing force, the object will accelerate in that direction. If the weight in the x direction is equal to the opposing force, the object will remain at a constant velocity.

5. Can the weight in the x direction ever be greater than the overall weight of an object?

No, the weight in the x direction can never be greater than the overall weight of an object. The overall weight of an object is determined by the force of gravity acting on it, which acts in a vertical direction. The weight in the x direction is only a component of this overall weight and cannot be greater than it.