Help with yet another solid of revolution question

In summary: I set the equations equal and I get my upper limit as 4 with respect to y and my lower limit as 1 with respect to y, however I still don't get the correct answer which is 72π/5.So I finally realized I was supposed to solve y^2=y+2 and get an upper and lower limit of 2 and -1 respectively. After plugging in those two values into the integrand, I finally ended up getting the correct answer. Thanks for the help.In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using the washer method, but did not get the correct answer.
student93

Homework Statement

See the attached problem.

Homework Equations

See the attached problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used washer method and got an inner radius of x=y^2 and an outer radius of x=y+2, I calculated my upper limit as being 4 and my lower limit as being 0. The answer is 72π/5, but I can't seem to get that answer. Are my limits of integration wrong and/or did I use the wrong method?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 5.07.27 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-01-28 at 5.07.27 AM.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
That method works for me. Please post your detailed steps.

V=π∫(y+2)^2 - (y^2)^2 dy, from 0 to 4
V= -2032π/15, which is obviously not the correct answer since volume can't be negative etc.

student93 said:
V=π∫(y+2)^2 - (y^2)^2 dy, from 0 to 4
V= -2032π/15, which is obviously not the correct answer since volume can't be negative etc.
Right integrand, wrong range. x goes from 0 to 4. what's the range for y?

haruspex said:
Right integrand, wrong range. x goes from 0 to 4. what's the range for y?

I set √x=x-2, and solved the quadratic and got x=4,1 (I used the 4 as my upper limit and used 0 as my lower limit since it seemed that 0 was the lower limit from how the graph looked). Also how exactly do I go about calculating the limits of integration in regards to y?

student93 said:
I set √x=x-2, and solved the quadratic and got x=4,1 (I used the 4 as my upper limit and used 0 as my lower limit since it seemed that 0 was the lower limit from how the graph looked).
Yes, but you are integrating with respect to y, so your bounds must be bounds on y, not x.
Also how exactly do I go about calculating the limits of integration in regards to y?
Sketch the curves and see where they cross.

haruspex said:
Yes, but you are integrating with respect to y, so your bounds must be bounds on y, not x.

Sketch the curves and see where they cross.

I set the equations equal and I get my upper limit as 4 with respect to y and my lower limit as 1 with respect to y, however I still don't get the correct answer which is 72π/5.

Last edited:
So I finally realized I was supposed to solve y^2=y+2 and get an upper and lower limit of 2 and -1 respectively. After plugging in those two values into the integrand, I finally ended up getting the correct answer. Thanks for the help.

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. The resulting solid has the same cross-sectional area as the original shape and is symmetrical around the axis of rotation.

2. How do I find the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π ∫[f(x)]^2 dx, where f(x) is the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the shape being rotated and the integral is taken over the limits of the shape's domain.

3. What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a surface of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape, while a surface of revolution is a two-dimensional surface. A solid of revolution is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis, while a surface of revolution is created by rotating a one-dimensional curve around an axis.

4. Can any shape be rotated to create a solid of revolution?

No, only shapes that have a continuous cross-sectional area and are symmetrical around the axis of rotation can be rotated to create a solid of revolution. Examples include circles, squares, and triangles.

5. How can I use a solid of revolution to model real-life objects?

Solids of revolution can be used to model objects such as bottles, vases, and traffic cones. They can also be used in engineering and architecture to design structures such as bridges and buildings. By understanding the properties and volume calculations of solids of revolution, scientists and engineers can create more efficient and cost-effective designs.