Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential is zero?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Chain
Messages
35
Reaction score
3
So I'm looking at the hessian of the Newtonian potential:

[itex]\partial^2\phi / \partial x_i \partial x_j[/itex]

Using the fact that (assuming the mass is constant):

[itex]F = m \cdot d^2 x / d t^2 = - \nabla \phi[/itex]

This implies:

[itex]\partial^2\phi / \partial x_i \partial x_j = -m \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} (d^2 x_i / d t^2) = -m \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} (\partial^2 x_i / \partial t^2)[/itex]

As we can swap the total derivatives for partial derivatives since for Cartesian coordinates:

[itex]\partial x_i / \partial x_j = \delta_{ij}[/itex]

Using the fact that we can swap the order of differentiation for mixed partials (assuming continuity of the partial derivatives) we obtain:

[itex]\partial^2\phi / \partial x_i \partial x_j = -m \cdot \partial^3 x_i / \partial x_j \partial t^2 = -m \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial t^2} \partial x_i / \partial x_j = -m \cdot 0 = 0[/itex]

Hence I obtain the result that the hessian of the Newtonian potential is zero which can't possibly be correct but I can't find the error in my calculation.

Any help would be much appreciated :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote doesn't make too much sense and the mathematical manipulations are illegal. Acceleration depends on time, coordinate depends on time: a(x) = a(t(x)). Good luck reverting x(t) into t(x).
 
So the problem is in the last step where I swap the order of differentiation because it is not possible to find time as a function of position?

I guess the proper expression for the differential of acceleration with respect to a spatial coordinate is:

[itex]\partial a(t(x)) / \partial x = \frac{\partial a(t)}{\partial t} \cdot \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial a(t)}{\partial t} \cdot (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})^{-1}[/itex]

Which is clearly non-zero.