1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hey guys, take a look at my work for a stationary integral?

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Path between O=(0,0) and P=(0,4) for which the integral

int. O to P (x (1-y'^2))^(1/2) dx

becomes stationary.

2. Relevant equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus_of_variations#Example

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay guys,

so mimicking the example from wiki but with L= (x)^1/2 (1-y'^2)^1/2

dL/dy=0 and dL/dy'= -(x)^1/2 y' / (1-y'^2)^1/2 and then d/dx dL/df' = - y'/[(2x^1/2)(1-y'^2)^1/2]

and since d/dx dL/df' =0 this implies y'=0 and we integrate to get y=c, adhering to boundary conditions y must equal 0... was that the correct way sorry for not writing in latex if I must I will redo the post

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That last expression looks too simple. There should be a y" in there, and two different powers of x. Remember it's not a partial derivative this time.

4. Nov 13, 2012 #3
    ahhhh you are correct! y is a function of x..

5. Nov 13, 2012 #4
    well.. I used the product rule and the chain rule and now I am looking at an unbelievable

2 x^1/2 y'^2 y'' - 1/2 x^-1/2 y' - x^1/2 y'' + 1/2 x^-1/2 y'^3 =0 .

I believe I took the derivative correctly this time but now I am lost as what to do with this..

6. Nov 13, 2012 #5
    well.. I used the product rule and the chain rule and now I am looking at an unbelievable

2 x^1/2 y'^2 y'' - 1/2 x^-1/2 y' - x^1/2 y'' + 1/2 x^-1/2 y'^3 =0 .

I believe I took the derivative correctly this time but now I am lost as what to do with this.

7. Nov 13, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Allow me to put that in LaTex:

[tex]2 x^{1/2} y'^2 y'' - (1/2)x^{-1/2} y' - x^{1/2} y'' + (1/2) x^{-1/2} y'^3 =0
    [/tex]
    Simplifying:
    [tex]4 x y'^2 y'' - y' - 2x y'' + y'^3 =0 [/tex]
    But that's not quite what I get. Writing K = (1-y'2)1/2:
    L = x1/2K
    ∂K/∂y' = -y'/K
    ∂L/∂y' = -x1/2y'/K
    [tex]0 = -\frac{d(∂L/∂y')}{dx} = \frac{x^{-1/2}y'}{2K} + \frac{x^{1/2}y''}{K} - \frac{x^{1/2}y'\frac{∂K}{∂y'}y''}{K^2}[/tex]
    [tex]0 = y'+ 2xy'' - 2\frac{xy'\frac{∂K}{∂y'}y''}{K}[/tex]
    [tex]0 = y'+ 2xy'' + 2\frac{xy'^2y''}{K^2}[/tex]
    [tex]0 = (y'+ 2xy'')(1-y'^2) + 2xy'^2y''[/tex]
    [tex]0 = y'+ 2xy'' - y'^3[/tex]
    Is that right or did I get sign wrong somewhere?

8. Nov 13, 2012 #7
    hey thanks, jumped out of bed to respond.. I'm sure you have the math correct but I can't see how this helps us get a solution the the original problem. At this step we have a nonlinear ode so I'm a little frightened we are on the wrong track? Thank you for helping thus far

9. Nov 13, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not hard from there. There are no y terms, so it's first order, and you can get it into the form f(x) = g(t)t' where t = y', so then it's just an integration to get an equation relating x to y'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook