1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi all -- I need a good reference about linear algebra

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    hi all
    i need a good Reference about mathematics
    my level in mathematics as zero

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2
    What topics?

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3
    such as linear algebra or General Math or calculus

5. Feb 2, 2016 #4

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

What do you mean by that?

6. Feb 2, 2016 #5
    i mean that i don't know anything about it

7. Feb 2, 2016 #6

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

Although this is still absolutely abstract, if anyway you know just arithmetic, then you need some pre books - like pre-algebra, pre-calculus etc. ,as to grasp the very fundamentals and go from there. There are many good texts on all these and of particular help in my opinion, is Wikipedia in order to get into context as well and maybe some history of math too.

8. Feb 2, 2016 #7
    thank you ,sir

9. Feb 2, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you don't know how to count to 10 for example?

10. Feb 2, 2016 #9
    Try to explain what you already know, for example, if you're a high-school student you should probably know something of trigonometry and analytic geometry right?

11. Feb 2, 2016 #10
    maybe not right what i mean that i know little information about it

12. Feb 5, 2016 #11
    Linear Algebra Done Right - Sheldon Axler is a good book.
    To understand linear algebra, you need to know the theory of matrices and determinants.

13. Feb 6, 2016 #12
    thank you very much

14. Feb 6, 2016 #13
    Reading two books of different approaches always helps. It makes the brain interleave the concepts. Another really good book is Gilbert Strang - Linear Algebra and its Applications. However, if you need help building the background you need to start with books about matrices, algebra equations and inequalities.

15. Feb 6, 2016 #14
    thank you you're very helpful

16. Feb 15, 2016 #15
    Hi Ahmed,

I think the best way to go would be to take an online course on edx.org . For example, there is a great course named "Linear Algebra: Foundations to Frontiers", taught by Professor Robert A. van de Geijn from the University of Texas (the course is now archived, but all the video lectures and other materials are still available). Just follow this link:
    https://courses.edx.org/courses/UTAustinX/UT.5.02x/1T2015/info

17. Feb 15, 2016 #16
    I recommend:

Pre algebra for dummies, Algebra 1, 2 for dummies (two seperate books).

Schaums outlines:
    Basic mathematics with applications to science and technology (good for physicists and engineering people)
    College algebra
    Beginning calculus.

I am also trying to read, "what is mathematics?" on the side.

I know its a lot of material :( but to truly master mathematics I think it is worth the effort..

18. Feb 22, 2016 #17
    thank you very much

19. Feb 24, 2016 #18
    The answers to exercises & problems, are sold only to actual teachers in employement. I handled a copy of the book; most beautiful on acid free, glossy paper. A first revision of it, would be much appreciated. Very easy to read and understand, illustrated, book of math that is worthy of being chosen by decisions Makers for high school (as an advanced optional three credit course) or first year college in fall quadrimester. The prerequisites of any academic first course in linear algebra taught in North America, are 1) all the math offered at primary & secondary schools, 2) a course in physical sciences and 3) a course in physics at high school. Sheldon Axler has to be mentionned first, endeed. _____ For the rare pupils who have benefited from a non conventional but geometric approach to trigonometry (where tan, cotan, sec^2, cos^2 etc correspond to specific segments of lines, may I suggest Linea Algebra, by Harold M. Edwards (with all the answers and often with full procedure; but not illustrated)?

20. Feb 24, 2016 #19
    Hi Ahmed, I think your title is misleading? surely you mean only basic maths (basic calculus, basic algebra..) and then linear algebra? I believe the op wanted books for basic maths as they said their level in mathematics isnt that high.

21. Feb 24, 2016 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted