Hi all -- I need a good reference about linear algebra

In summary, this person does not know how to count to 10 or what topics to discuss. They would benefit from taking an online course on edx.org.
ahmed habala
hi all
i need a good Reference about mathematics
my level in mathematics as zero

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
such as linear algebra or General Math or calculus
Greg Bernhardt said:
What topics?

ahmed habala said:
my level in mathematics as zero
What do you mean by that?

QuantumQuest said:
What do you mean by that?
i mean that i don't know anything about it

ahmed habala said:

Although this is still absolutely abstract, if anyway you know just arithmetic, then you need some pre books - like pre-algebra, pre-calculus etc. ,as to grasp the very fundamentals and go from there. There are many good texts on all these and of particular help in my opinion, is Wikipedia in order to get into context as well and maybe some history of math too.

Likes Kilo Vectors
QuantumQuest said:
Although this is still absolutely abstract, if anyway you know just arithmetic, then you need some pre books - like pre-algebra, pre-calculus etc. ,as to grasp the very fundamentals and go from there. There are many good texts on all these and of particular help in my opinion, is Wikipedia in order to get into context as well and maybe some history of math too.
thank you ,sir

ahmed habala said:

So you don't know how to count to 10 for example?

Try to explain what you already know, for example, if you're a high-school student you should probably know something of trigonometry and analytic geometry right?

Andreol263 said:
Try to explain what you already know, for example, if you're a high-school student you should probably know something of trigonometry and analytic geometry right?

maybe not right what i mean that i know little information about it

Linear Algebra Done Right - Sheldon Axler is a good book.
To understand linear algebra, you need to know the theory of matrices and determinants.

Likes ahmed habala
Maths Absorber said:
To understand linear algebra, you need to know the theory of matrices and determinants.
thank you very much

Reading two books of different approaches always helps. It makes the brain interleave the concepts. Another really good book is Gilbert Strang - Linear Algebra and its Applications. However, if you need help building the background you need to start with books about matrices, algebra equations and inequalities.

Likes ahmed habala
Maths Absorber said:
Reading two books of different approaches always helps. It makes the brain interleave the concepts. Another really good book is Gilbert Strang - Linear Algebra and its Applications. However, if you need help building the background you need to start with books about matrices, algebra equations and inequalities.
thank you you're very helpful

Hi Ahmed,

I think the best way to go would be to take an online course on edx.org . For example, there is a great course named "Linear Algebra: Foundations to Frontiers", taught by Professor Robert A. van de Geijn from the University of Texas (the course is now archived, but all the video lectures and other materials are still available). Just follow this link:
https://courses.edx.org/courses/UTAustinX/UT.5.02x/1T2015/info

Likes ahmed habala
I recommend:

Pre algebra for dummies, Algebra 1, 2 for dummies (two separate books).

Schaums outlines:
Basic mathematics with applications to science and technology (good for physicists and engineering people)
College algebra
Beginning calculus.

I am also trying to read, "what is mathematics?" on the side.

I know its a lot of material :( but to truly master mathematics I think it is worth the effort..

Likes ahmed habala
NumericalFEA said:
Hi Ahmed,

I think the best way to go would be to take an online course on edx.org . For example, there is a great course named "Linear Algebra: Foundations to Frontiers", taught by Professor Robert A. van de Geijn from the University of Texas (the course is now archived, but all the video lectures and other materials are still available). Just follow this link:
https://courses.edx.org/courses/UTAustinX/UT.5.02x/1T2015/info
thank you very much

Likes Kilo Vectors
Maths Absorber said:
The answers to exercises & problems, are sold only to actual teachers in employement. I handled a copy of the book; most beautiful on acid free, glossy paper. A first revision of it, would be much appreciated. Very easy to read and understand, illustrated, book of math that is worthy of being chosen by decisions Makers for high school (as an advanced optional three credit course) or first year college in fall quadrimester. The prerequisites of any academic first course in linear algebra taught in North America, are 1) all the math offered at primary & secondary schools, 2) a course in physical sciences and 3) a course in physics at high school. Sheldon Axler has to be mentionned first, endeed. _____ For the rare pupils who have benefited from a non conventional but geometric approach to trigonometry (where tan, cotan, sec^2, cos^2 etc correspond to specific segments of lines, may I suggest Linea Algebra, by Harold M. Edwards (with all the answers and often with full procedure; but not illustrated)?

Hi Ahmed, I think your title is misleading? surely you mean only basic maths (basic calculus, basic algebra..) and then linear algebra? I believe the op wanted books for basic maths as they said their level in mathematics isn't that high.

I recommend Hefferon's Linear Algebra if you have no experience with the proofs and linear algebra rap whatsoever. His book is available for free at his website. After reading his book, you can read either Axler or Hoffman/Kunze (my favorite) to learn more about the linear algebra from the theoretical aspect, and as a stepping stone to the functional analysis if you are interested in it.

theBin said:
The answers to exercises & problems, are sold only to actual teachers in employement. I handled a copy of the book; most beautiful on acid free, glossy paper. A first revision of it, would be much appreciated. Very easy to read and understand, illustrated, book of math that is worthy of being chosen by decisions Makers for high school (as an advanced optional three credit course) or first year college in fall quadrimester. The prerequisites of any academic first course in linear algebra taught in North America, are 1) all the math offered at primary & secondary schools, 2) a course in physical sciences and 3) a course in physics at high school. Sheldon Axler has to be mentionned first, endeed. _____ For the rare pupils who have benefited from a non conventional but geometric approach to trigonometry (where tan, cotan, sec^2, cos^2 etc correspond to specific segments of lines, may I suggest Linea Algebra, by Harold M. Edwards (with all the answers and often with full procedure; but not illustrated)?

I'd like to try the book you mention, but what is the non conventional approach to geometry ?

''A Geometrical Approach to the Six Trigonometric Ratios'', by Martin V. Bonsangue, in The Mathematics Teacher, Vol.86, No.6' September 1993, pp496-498

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vector spaces, and linear transformations. It involves the study of matrices, determinants, and systems of linear equations.

Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it provides the foundation for many other areas of mathematics, such as calculus, statistics, and computer science. It is also essential in fields like physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some real-life applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many applications in the real world, including computer graphics, data analysis, machine learning, and cryptography. It is also used in solving optimization problems and modeling complex systems.

What are some good references for learning linear algebra?

Some popular textbooks on linear algebra include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free courses on linear algebra.

What are some important topics to cover in linear algebra?

Some important topics in linear algebra include vector operations, matrix operations, solving systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations. Other important concepts include determinants, inner product spaces, and diagonalization of matrices.