How Does Gravity Behave Inside a Sphere Relative to Its Density?

• Thread starter ST_Pete
  • Start date
In summary, gravity is a function of density and plays a significant role in the physical laws that govern our universe. As a new member, it is important to understand that the greater the density of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This concept is crucial in understanding how objects behave in space and how celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, interact with each other. By understanding the relationship between gravity and density, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern our world.
ST_Pete
Hi All:
I am a new member and was recently reviewing a discussion concerning gravity as a function of density. One person had proposed that the force of gravity could also be measured even if the distance from the center was less than the object's radius (inside the sphere). Another proposed that regardless as to your distance, once inside the sphere ONLY the mass between you and its center can effect you; that somehow the mass outside of this 'imaginary' sphere canceled out...
This got me thinking about a Black Hole. What if the latter were true and that once you've crossed the Event Horizon, the amount of gravity that 'effects' you becomes less and less as you approach the center...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ST_Pete, welcome to PF

This subforum's function is solely to allow introductions. Any substantive question should be posted in the appropriate forum (in this case, general or classical physics).

But so as to help you on you way, I'd suggest reading about Newton's shell theorem first (wikipedia has a good article, and there's probably a number of videos on youtube too). You'll see that both the persons you mentioned were right, and perhaps you'll manage to apply it to the case of a BH yourself (keep in mind where all the mass is concentrated in a BH).

If you'll have any more questions regarding the above, do post them in a separate thread.

Likes berkeman
Bandersnatch said:
Hi ST_Pete, welcome to PF

This subforum's function is solely to allow introductions. Any substantive question should be posted in the appropriate forum (in this case, general or classical physics).

But so as to help you on you way, I'd suggest reading about Newton's shell theorem first (wikipedia has a good article, and there's probably a number of videos on youtube too). You'll see that both the persons you mentioned were right, and perhaps you'll manage to apply it to the case of a BH yourself (keep in mind where all the mass is concentrated in a BH).

If you'll have any more questions regarding the above, do post them in a separate thread.
Thanks man... I appreciate it... Sorry... Didn't know the protocol... The thread said that I had insufficient privileges to reply there so I figured I'd 'wing it' here... My Bad...

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
ST_Pete said:
The thread said that I had insufficient privileges to reply there so I figured I'd 'wing it' here... My Bad...
The thread may have been closed because it was old, or perhaps there was some rules violation that got it closed. If you look above the first post in the thread, there is probably a note that says the thread is "Not open for new replies". And if you look at the last post in the thread, there will either be a Mentor note about why the thread was closed, or if there is no such post, the thread is probably old.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

The thread may have been closed because it was old, or perhaps there was some rules violation that got it closed. If you look above the first post in the thread, there is probably a note that says the thread is "Not open for new replies". And if you look at the last post in the thread, there will either be a Mentor note about why the thread was closed, or if there is no such post, the thread is probably old.
Thanks man... Yep... Didn't think to look for that... You are probably correct...

Likes berkeman