Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi,I have great difficulty understanding some new concepts

1. Jun 30, 2007 #1

I have great difficulty understanding some new concepts sometimes. Often I wonder if the door on the days of learning of my brain has been slammed shut. Is it possible that one really can come to understand well, topics which at one time baffle us even in adulthood?

I'd like to hear your opinions thanks :wink:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Hm, that depends on what kind of concepts we're talking about.
  4. Jun 30, 2007 #3
    Kinematics and dynamics of rigid bodies and that type of stuff. Plus it's also a general question, not necessarily aimed at specific areas.
  5. Jun 30, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

Of course! It sometimes helps to leave a particular problem for a while and then come back to it. After awhile you forget some of the details that had you bogged down, and allow you to see things that you kept missing.

Also, the more you continue to learn and excersize your mind as you age, the sharper you will stay.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  6. Jun 30, 2007 #5

Gold Member

If you're blocked/dead-ended with new concepts, do some "what-if" thinking to get around your preconceptions. Einstein's idea of equating gravitation and acceleration based on their observable effects was one of these "outside the box" moments. Remember that Google is your friend and you can mix up key-words to come up with links that might help suggest lines of thought that you haven't considered.
  7. Jun 30, 2007 #6
    Ah some encouraging replies there thanks :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?