Higgs field at near light speed

In summary, the Higgs field gives mass to some particles, but it does not increase relative to speed.
Devguy101
I'm a high school student and I don't know much about this stuff e.g. the Higgs Field but i know that the Higgs field gives mass to some particles. I also learned that the mass of an object is relative to its speed. So my question is, what happens to the Higgs field at those near light speeds to cause the mass to increase?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of an object does not increase relative to its speed, its kinetic energy increases. The "relativistic mass" that one sometimes hears about (which increases as speed increases) is basically simply a mathematical trick to keep some equations looking Newtonian (e.g. to keep the relation ##p=mv##, which in relativistic theory is really ##p=\gamma mv## we may define ##m_R\equiv\gamma m## so that ##p=m_R v##). This should not be thought of as an actual mass increase, but simply an increase in kinetic energy.

Devguy101 said:
the Higgs field gives mass to some particles

More precisely, it gives rest mass (or "invariant mass") to some particles, which is (as the second name for it implies) an invariant and doesn't change with speed. As Matterwave says, what changes with speed is "relativistic mass", more properly called simply "energy", and that has nothing to do with the Higgs field.

Matterwave said:
The mass of an object does not increase relative to its speed, its kinetic energy increases. The "relativistic mass" that one sometimes hears about (which increases as speed increases) is basically simply a mathematical trick to keep some equations looking Newtonian (e.g. to keep the relation ##p=mv##, which in relativistic theory is really ##p=\gamma mv## we may define ##m_R\equiv\gamma m## so that ##p=m_R v##). This should not be thought of as an actual mass increase, but simply an increase in kinetic energy.

Couldn't that be a dirty, nasty trick that could easily lead someone astray? In particular, it might lead one to try and think that Relativity is just "Newtonian mechanics with some wonky effects added in", as opposed to treating it as a new theory on its own terms which reproduces Newtonian mechanics on everyday scales.

Such an approach to relativity was popular in the past, and has gone out of fashion. I certainly do not like the use of such tricks since I think they obscure the physical meaning in the processes involved. But looking at the past, many "tricks" such as these pop up. A particularly annoying one for me is the trick to use ##ict## as the time coordinate, so that your position four vector would be ##(ict, x, y, z)## in order that when you take the dot product you get the correct result of having an opposite sign between the time coordinate and the space coordinates. I really don't like this approach, and indeed this approach has also gone out of fashion.

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that is thought to give particles their mass. It is a fundamental field that permeates all of space and interacts with particles as they move through it.

2. How does the Higgs field work at near light speed?

At near light speed, the Higgs field is thought to interact differently with particles. According to the theory of special relativity, as particles approach the speed of light, their mass increases and they become more difficult to accelerate. The Higgs field is thought to play a role in this mass increase.

3. Why is the Higgs field important?

The Higgs field is important because it helps explain how particles acquire mass. This is a fundamental property of matter that has puzzled scientists for decades. The discovery of the Higgs field and the associated Higgs boson particle in 2012 confirmed the existence of this field and provided a framework for understanding the origins of mass.

4. What happens to particles at near light speed in the presence of the Higgs field?

As particles approach the speed of light, their interactions with the Higgs field become more pronounced. This can result in a slowing down of the particle's motion and an increase in its mass. This effect is known as the Higgs mechanism.

5. How does the study of the Higgs field at near light speed impact our understanding of the universe?

Studying the Higgs field at near light speed can provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties of our universe. By understanding how particles interact with this field, we can gain a better understanding of the structure and dynamics of the universe on both the smallest and largest scales. This knowledge can also potentially inform future discoveries in particle physics and cosmology.