Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs field issues of detection?

1. May 15, 2010 #1
    my view.

The current theory of the higgs feild is based on the higgs boson.
    Now a boson, in theory has to conform to the rules of super-fluidity or a Bose-Einstein Cond.
    I can confer because of this, All higgs bosons, would be interlocked as a feild acting as one particle.

I can say that since its fills all space in the universe that there is no reference point to observe it from. Also because its a boson that this field would take on heat across the entire higgs field and you would not be able to break a particle from it.

also it can give a good reason why entropy can never be 0.

I am not doubting the higgs feild but I fail to see how using particle acceleration it would be possible to detect directly, though we could learn some about how w and z interact with it.

Now many folks believe you can observe it and I would like to learn what methodology we are hoping to use.

edit. ps I would like to state this argument is valid only if a Higgs partical is indeed a boson
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

That's simply not true. Helium gas is composed of bosons and is not a superfluid.
  4. May 15, 2010 #3
    helium gas can become a superfluid

I dont understand?

this from
    "In particle language, the constant Higgs field is a superfluid of charged particles, and a charged superfluid is a superconductor. Inside a superconductor, the gauge electric and magnetic fields both become short-ranged, or massive." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_mechanism

also helium can be a bosonic-composite but never and elemental boson

in other words helium 4 can be made into a superfluid and changed back but an elemental boson does not have that option.
  5. May 15, 2010 #4
    The Wikipedia article on the Higgs mechanism was a mess the last time I looked at it (in 2009). The "Higgs field" in the two sentences you quote refers to the Higgs doublet, as opposed to the Higgs boson. The Higgs boson is the degree of freedom that remains after the other three components of the Higgs doublet are "eaten" by the W and Z. It's the latter process that is analogous to the photon field "eating" the Cooper pair condensate in a superconductor. There have to be better ways to phrase this.

In order to produce a Bose-Einstein condensate, the bosons have to be trapped and cooled to extremely low temperatures -- it took 70 years and a couple of Nobel prizes to develop this technology. It will never be possible to trap and cool a whole bunch of Higgs bosons. Among other difficulties, they are unstable particles with extremely short lifetimes; they would decay before a Bose-Einstein condensate could form.
  6. May 15, 2010 #5
    thanks that clears me up a bit. Gives me something to ponder for a bit :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook