Higgs field issues of detection?

In summary, the current theory of the higgs field is based on the higgs boson. Now a boson, in theory has to conform to the rules of super-fluidity or a Bose-Einstein Cond. I can confer because of this, All higgs bosons, would be interlocked as a field acting as one particle.
poreguppy
my view. The current theory of the higgs field is based on the higgs boson.
Now a boson, in theory has to conform to the rules of super-fluidity or a Bose-Einstein Cond.
I can confer because of this, All higgs bosons, would be interlocked as a field acting as one particle.

I can say that since its fills all space in the universe that there is no reference point to observe it from. Also because its a boson that this field would take on heat across the entire higgs field and you would not be able to break a particle from it.

also it can give a good reason why entropy can never be 0.

I am not doubting the higgs field but I fail to see how using particle acceleration it would be possible to detect directly, though we could learn some about how w and z interact with it.Now many folks believe you can observe it and I would like to learn what methodology we are hoping to use.

edit. ps I would like to state this argument is valid only if a Higgs particle is indeed a boson

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's simply not true. Helium gas is composed of bosons and is not a superfluid.

helium gas can become a superfluid I don't understand?

this from
"In particle language, the constant Higgs field is a superfluid of charged particles, and a charged superfluid is a superconductor. Inside a superconductor, the gauge electric and magnetic fields both become short-ranged, or massive." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_mechanism

also helium can be a bosonic-composite but never and elemental bosonin other words helium 4 can be made into a superfluid and changed back but an elemental boson does not have that option.

Last edited:
poreguppy said:
helium gas can become a superfluid
"In particle language, the constant Higgs field is a superfluid of charged particles, and a charged superfluid is a superconductor. Inside a superconductor, the gauge electric and magnetic fields both become short-ranged, or massive." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_mechanism

The Wikipedia article on the Higgs mechanism was a mess the last time I looked at it (in 2009). The "Higgs field" in the two sentences you quote refers to the Higgs doublet, as opposed to the Higgs boson. The Higgs boson is the degree of freedom that remains after the other three components of the Higgs doublet are "eaten" by the W and Z. It's the latter process that is analogous to the photon field "eating" the Cooper pair condensate in a superconductor. There have to be better ways to phrase this.

In order to produce a Bose-Einstein condensate, the bosons have to be trapped and cooled to extremely low temperatures -- it took 70 years and a couple of Nobel prizes to develop this technology. It will never be possible to trap and cool a whole bunch of Higgs bosons. Among other difficulties, they are unstable particles with extremely short lifetimes; they would decay before a Bose-Einstein condensate could form.

thanks that clears me up a bit. Gives me something to ponder for a bit :)

Last edited:

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical field that permeates all of space and is responsible for giving particles their mass. It was proposed by Peter Higgs and other scientists in the 1960s as a way to explain why particles have mass.

2. How is the Higgs field detected?

The Higgs field cannot be directly detected, but its effects can be observed through experiments at particle accelerators. When particles interact with the Higgs field, they gain mass and can be detected through their interactions with other particles.

3. What is the significance of detecting the Higgs field?

Detecting the Higgs field is significant because it confirms the existence of the Higgs mechanism, which is an important part of the Standard Model of particle physics. It also helps us understand how particles acquire mass and provides insight into the fundamental forces of nature.

4. What challenges are involved in detecting the Higgs field?

One of the main challenges in detecting the Higgs field is that it is a very weak field, meaning that particles interact with it very rarely. This makes it difficult to observe and requires high-energy experiments, like those at the Large Hadron Collider, to produce the particles needed to detect it.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the Higgs field?

Yes, there are alternative theories to the Higgs field, such as supersymmetry and technicolor. These theories propose different mechanisms for giving particles their mass and are still being explored by scientists. However, the Higgs field remains the most widely accepted theory for explaining mass in the Standard Model.