High axial vibration at permanent magnetic generator

In summary, there is a problem with high axial vibration at the ball bearing of a permanent magnetic generator (PMG) with a turbine running at 5500 RPM, but the PMG itself rotates at 1500 RPM. The dominant frequency is 1 times the RPM of the high-speed gearbox, and there is no indication of bearing issues or bent shaft. There is a possibility of resonance or structural resonance, and further measurements and inspection are needed to diagnose the issue.
floyds
hi guyz,

I have Turbiine(5500RPM)-Gearbox(output 1500RM)-Generator-Exciter-Permanent Magnetiic Generator(PMG).

I have problem with high axial vibration at ball bearing permanent magnetic generator.
Axial vibration at 5500RPM, but it rotate at 1500RPM. This overall is 3-5 times radial direction.

I have confirmed that there is no bearing cocked on shaft.

Is there anyone can help me..?

Thanks

floyds

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you examined the bearings themselves? PMGs also can introduce vibrations under loads when there are issues with the windings and drastic differences between phases. I would have to do some research on that end since it has been a long time since I have troubleshot a generator's electrical side.

dear FredGarvin,

we did.
we have change the bearing both side, and nothing change in amplitude. we always keep it(PMG) runs at 50Hz, so I guess electrical problem due to line frequency(difference air gap between stator and rotor) should come at 6000 RPM (is not the real problem). Because our dominant frequency is 1XRPM highspeed gearbox about 5500RPM read at PMG ball bearing. permanent magnetic generator(PMG) itself rotate at 1500RPM.

and I don't think it could be bent shaft.

can it be a resonance..?or any probable that I miss in thought?

Thank You

Last edited:
A 1E vibration is surely an inbalance. The tell tale is if the dominant frequency increases with increase in rotational speed. If it rises and then goes away with increasing frequency (speed) then it is most likely either passing through a mode in the rotating group or a structural resonance. If it were a bearing you would see sidebands around the the ball pass frequency and, most likely, the 1E as well.

Axial vibration at running frequency is typically angular misalignment between the driving and driven equipment. Measure the phase difference between the gearbox and generator, if they're out of phase you should definitely look for angular misalignment.

Dear fredGarvin,

thank you for the opinion,
I don't know what the 1E Vibration mean..? when unbalance happen, 1XRPM(1500RPM) at running speed would present at spectrum. Resonance itself hard to understand for me. can resonance happen due to our activities in changing the bearing(part of bearing or any other equipment) which have natural frequency around running speed..? how can i confirm it. this amplitude show up just about several days ago. or is there any field activities to confirm the part's natural frequency without bump test..?

from increasing speed, how can I justify that one part or more part(structural) have natural frequency around running speed?

dear brewnog,

thank you for the opinion.
first I thought it was a misalignment or bent shaft due to high amplitude at axial direction. but clearly inspect at its spectrum, the dominant frequency is about 5500RPM. at the time condition our PMG surely running at 1500RPM. that's a little weird for me.
for misalignment and bent shaft the dominant frequency should be present at 1500RPM or its harmonic.

thanks

Dear fredGarvin,

thank you for the opinion,
I don't know what the 1E Vibration mean..? when unbalance happen, 1XRPM(1500RPM) at running speed would present at spectrum. Resonance itself hard to understand for me. can resonance happen due to our activities in changing the bearing(part of bearing or any other equipment) which have natural frequency around running speed..? how can i confirm it. this amplitude show up just about several days ago. or is there any field activities to confirm the part's natural frequency without bump test..?

from increasing speed, how can I justify that one part or more part(structural) have natural frequency around running speed?

dear brewnog,

thank you for the opinion.
first I thought it was a misalignment or bent shaft due to high amplitude at axial direction. but clearly inspect at its spectrum, the dominant frequency is about 5500RPM. at the time condition our PMG surely running at 1500RPM. that's a little weird for me.
for misalignment and bent shaft the dominant frequency should be present at 1500RPM or its harmonic.

thanks

You said the turbine was running at 5,500rpm. Seeing vibration at this frequency on the output shaft (although geared down to 1,500rpm) wouldn't be unusual, particularly for a torsional or misalignment issue. Are there helical gears in the gearbox?

dear brewnog,
it is. we used helical gear at gearbox.

thank you

By the way, are you measuring radial and tangential vibes as well? If so, what are they like?

Will await an answer to Fred's question, but this could easily be (natural) torsional or linear (vertical/horizontal) vibration from the turbine at running speed (5,500rpm) being translated to axial vibration on the driven equipment by thrust loading through the helical gearbox, and/or by angular misalignment between the turbine and gearbox.

Your relative measurements between the turbine, gearbox and generator will diagnose these theories.

Dear FredGarvin,

I did.
Vibration spectrum at radial(vertical & horizontal), have the same dominant frequencies at 5,500RPM. Both frequencies(5,500RPM and 1,500RPM) have harmonics. Please have a look at 2 files attached.

Dear Brewnog,
Thank You for the opinion. I'll make a new measurement today, and look more clearly at possibility of angular misalignment and the gearbox condition.

Thank You & Regards

floyds[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Vertical IB PMG.JPG
    Vertical IB PMG.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 459
  • Axial IB PMG.JPG
    Axial IB PMG.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 464
  • Horizontal IB PMG.JPG
    Horizontal IB PMG.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 452

1. What is high axial vibration in a permanent magnetic generator?

High axial vibration in a permanent magnetic generator refers to excessive vibration that occurs along the axis of rotation in the generator. This can be caused by a variety of factors such as imbalanced rotor, misalignment, worn bearings, or electrical faults.

2. How does high axial vibration affect the performance of a permanent magnetic generator?

High axial vibration can significantly impact the performance of a permanent magnetic generator. It can cause increased wear and tear on the generator components, leading to decreased efficiency and potential mechanical failures. It can also result in increased noise levels and reduced power output.

3. What are the common causes of high axial vibration in a permanent magnetic generator?

Some common causes of high axial vibration in a permanent magnetic generator include improper installation, lack of maintenance, worn or damaged bearings, electrical faults, and imbalanced rotor. It is essential to identify and address the underlying cause to prevent further damage to the generator.

4. How can high axial vibration in a permanent magnetic generator be detected?

High axial vibration can be detected through regular monitoring and inspection of the generator's vibration levels. Vibration sensors can be installed to measure the vibration levels and detect any changes or irregularities. Visual inspections can also help identify any visible signs of wear or damage.

5. What are the best practices for reducing high axial vibration in a permanent magnetic generator?

To reduce high axial vibration in a permanent magnetic generator, it is important to ensure proper installation and regular maintenance. The rotor should be balanced correctly, and bearings should be inspected and replaced if necessary. Electrical faults should be identified and addressed promptly. It is also essential to monitor vibration levels regularly to detect any changes and address them before they cause significant damage.