Induced voltage in a coil in a three phase permanent magnet axial flux generator

In summary,The alternating current induced in the coils of a magnet flux generator is calculated by multiplying the number of turns in the coil by the change in flux over the change in time.
Frederik
I am currently designing a three phase permanent magnet axial flux generator, but have a question regarding the voltage induced in the copper coils. Faraday's law defines this voltage as the number of turns in the coil, times the change in flux (external magnetic field times area of coil) over the change in time. As i tried to illustrate in this sketch:

upload_2018-3-14_11-26-56.png

However in my generator (and to my knowledge, in most others), the interaction between the coils and the flux is a bit different. I am not sure how to define the area in my case, as the source of flux is not passing through the entire coil, but instead parallel to it. The sketch below describes the basic principle of my generator:

upload_2018-3-14_11-28-29.png

I just assumed that the area is that of the coil section affected by the magnet, instead of the total coil area, as shown here:

upload_2018-3-14_11-41-2.png

My question is, if the above assumption is correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-14_11-26-56.png
    upload_2018-3-14_11-26-56.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,258
  • upload_2018-3-14_11-28-29.png
    upload_2018-3-14_11-28-29.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,653
  • upload_2018-3-14_11-41-2.png
    upload_2018-3-14_11-41-2.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,053
Engineering news on Phys.org
The general form of the Faraday's law has a differential form - which in turn means you usually need calculus to find the voltage. The non-differential version that you refer to is a very specific case, quite easy to apply when it works, but outside of its applicability it fails miserably (as you have just realized).

Likes jim mcnamara, anorlunda and Frederik
Any text on machines covers this in detail. Learning the details of generator operation is too much for posting here.

Claude
EE
PhD student

What counts is the amount of flux encircled by the coil. That's why your statement above says
Frederik said:
number of turns in the coil, times the change in flux
Note it says flux not flux density.

Flux is measured in Webers.

Frederik said:
(external magnetic field times area of coil)
That infers you are thinking of the magnetic field in terms of flux density , which is Teslas and usually represented by uppercase B,
instead of flux which is Webers usually represented by Greek letter "phi" Φ.
A Tesla is one Weber per square meter.
That's why you multiply by area, to change from Teslas that are present both inside and outside your coil to Webers that are encircled by it.

Think in Webers and your conundrum should disappear.

Frederik said:
I just assumed that the area is that of the coil section affected by the magnet, instead of the total coil area, as shown here:
Nope. It's however many Webers the coil encircles. In your second picture with magnet smaller than coil you'll very soon encircle all the Webers, as in your first picture.

Being aware of that distinction should help you digest whatever textbook you consult.
B is not Φ so pay close attention to which symbol is in the author's formula.

old jim

Likes cabraham
How would you calculate the alternating current induced in the coils?

What is induced voltage in a coil?

Induced voltage in a coil refers to the voltage that is generated in a coil when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is described by Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction and is the basis for the operation of generators and other electrical devices.

How is induced voltage created in a three phase permanent magnet axial flux generator?

In a three phase permanent magnet axial flux generator, induced voltage is created when the rotor, which is made up of permanent magnets, rotates and creates a changing magnetic field that cuts through the stator coils. This results in an alternating current (AC) voltage being induced in the coils.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced voltage in a coil?

The magnitude of induced voltage in a coil is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the speed of rotation, and the angle between the magnetic field and the coil. Additionally, the material and size of the coil can also impact the induced voltage.

How does three phase power affect the induced voltage in a coil?

In a three phase system, the coils in a generator are arranged in three sets, with each set having a phase difference of 120 degrees. This means that as the rotor rotates, the coils are exposed to changing magnetic fields in a cyclical manner, resulting in a smoother and more constant induced voltage compared to a single phase system.

What are some practical applications of induced voltage in a three phase permanent magnet axial flux generator?

The induced voltage in a three phase permanent magnet axial flux generator has many practical applications, including power generation in wind turbines and hydroelectric plants, as well as in electric vehicles. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as metal fabrication and welding.