Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cogging torque in coreless axial flux PMG (permanent magnet generator)

1. Aug 4, 2016 #1
    • Poster has been reminded to post more information when asking questions at the PF.
    Hi to all. I am simulating a "core less axial flux PMG". This PMG has significant cogging torque. I don't know where this torque comes from because this is a core less generator therefor there is no slot in stator ( no reluctance variation).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2016 #2
    Can you post a drawing so we have an idea of the design?

4. Aug 5, 2016 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

computer is quite happy to calculate anything
    What have you instructed it to do ?
    "Garbage in, Gospel out"

Indeed, as Tom.G asks, what does a coreless motor look like ?
    Where do the stator wires go ?

5. Aug 5, 2016 #4

Merlin3189

Gold Member

I don't know about these devices, but it seems to me that, if there's no core, the alternative source of reaction would have to be induced currents. So is there any possible current path even when no load is attached? I have in mind maybe some sort of delta connection rather than star connection of phases.

Edit. BTW for any like me not familiar with these simulations, perhaps you could explain a little what static and transient simulations are in this context.

6. Aug 5, 2016 #5
    Actually I'm not too surprised by cogging torque. Likely due to the varying magnetic alignment between the rotor and stator. My experience with coreless motors is they are used when the rotational position must be stable without any applied power. Motors with a core, especially Permanent Magnet ones, have preferred positions where the rotor and stator will always settle due to the remnant magnetic field; they act almost like stepper motors with the power off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted