High end Radar receiver sensitivities

In summary, the sensitivity of a radar receiver is limited by the bandwidth and noise floor of the receiver.
Emperor42
I am looking for what the high end radar receivers can achieve in terms of sensitivity? I have had trouble finding examples online, I have seen -100 to -103dBm as typical sensitivities, but I'm looking for the cutting edge stuff. I've also seen the GPS satellites also have a sensitivity of around -125dBm.
This is because I am looking for comparisons with a MW sensor that my group is designing that could have sensitivities between -113 - -173dBm at 12.6GHz

Engineering news on Phys.org
That would depend on the size of the receiving dish antenna, no?

The large differences between the examples you are quoting is caused by differences in the noise bandwidth. Pn = kTB.

Likes berkeman
Emperor42 said:
I've also seen the GPS satellites also have a sensitivity of around -125dBm.

Really ? the satellites are basically transmit ... I assume you really meant the Earth based receivers ?
Emperor42 said:
This is because I am looking for comparisons with a MW sensor that my group is designing that could have sensitivities between -113 - -173dBm at 12.6GHz

the main issue with useable sensitivities below -120 dBm is the local noise floor
As in, there is no point in having a receiver that achieve a sensitivity of -160 to -170 dBm
if the local noise floor is around -140 dBm

Emperor42 said:
I am looking for what the high end radar receivers can achieve in terms of sensitivity? I have had trouble finding examples online, I have seen -100 to -103dBm as typical sensitivities, but I'm looking for the cutting edge stuff. I've also seen the GPS satellites also have a sensitivity of around -125dBm.
Further to my comment, "sensitivity" is meaningless unless the bandwidth is quoted.
To obtain the sensitivity of the overall receiver, we need to know the antenna noise temperature, receiver noise temperature, bandwidth, and detection threshold.The latter will depend on the type of modulation, type of detector and the desired minimum Bit Error Ratio or S/N. In some cases it will also require knowledge of interferers.
For these reasons, the simple and traditional way of comparing receiver front ends is by stating noise temperature, noise factor in dB or noise figure.

Marine and ground based radar is not limited by sensitivity but by the ability to correlate the received signal with the signal that was transmitted earlier. That requires a wide bandwidth, a more accurate clock reference and better signal processing.

Because radar requires a wide bandwidth to accurately separate targets, you need to consider the sensitivity of your receiver when operated with a BW of between 10MHz and 100MHz.

It is already the case that radar receiver performance is limited by man-made and natural sources of in-band RF energy. Range is limited by the distance to the microwave horizon, not by RX sensitivity. Aircraft, rainfall or hail on the horizon will increase the noise floor because more energy will be scattered from other sources to your receiver. Higher sensitivity and cooled receiver front-ends are only needed when you have satellites or the moon as your target.

You only need to increase receiver sensitivity if you want to lower the transmit power. That pushes the situation towards making you more vulnerable to sources of interference and hostile jamming.

1. What is the sensitivity of a high end radar receiver?

The sensitivity of a high end radar receiver refers to its ability to detect weak signals. It is usually measured in decibels (dB) and can vary depending on factors such as the type of receiver, the frequency of the radar, and the environment it is operating in. Generally, high end radar receivers have a sensitivity of -100 dB or better.

2. How does the sensitivity of a high end radar receiver affect its performance?

The sensitivity of a high end radar receiver is crucial to its performance as it determines its ability to detect and track targets accurately. A higher sensitivity means the receiver can detect weaker signals, resulting in a longer detection range and improved target discrimination. This can be especially important in challenging environments where there may be a lot of noise or interference.

3. What factors affect the sensitivity of a high end radar receiver?

The sensitivity of a high end radar receiver can be affected by various factors, including the receiver design, the quality of its components, and the type and placement of its antenna. The frequency of the radar can also play a role, as higher frequencies tend to have better sensitivity. Additionally, external factors such as atmospheric conditions and interference from other electronic devices can also impact sensitivity.

4. How can the sensitivity of a high end radar receiver be improved?

There are several ways to improve the sensitivity of a high end radar receiver. One way is to use a high-quality antenna with a large aperture, as this can improve the receiver's ability to capture weak signals. Another method is to use advanced signal processing techniques, such as pulse compression or digital beamforming, which can help filter out noise and enhance weak signals. Additionally, regularly calibrating and maintaining the receiver can also help improve its sensitivity over time.

5. Are there any limitations to the sensitivity of a high end radar receiver?

While high end radar receivers are designed to have a high sensitivity, there are certain limitations that can affect their performance. For example, in some environments, such as near large bodies of water or in urban areas, the presence of clutter can make it difficult for the receiver to detect weak signals. Additionally, the sensitivity of a high end radar receiver can also be limited by its dynamic range, which is the range of signal strengths it can accurately process.