Radar received field no spreading

In summary, the conversation discussed a received radar signal and the possibility of eliminating the [4 \pi R(t)]^2 term in its equation. The speaker, a math grad student working on a radar research project, was unsure of the reasons for doing so. It was clarified that this term cannot be ignored strictly as it is inherent to the geometry of propagation. However, it can be separated from the rest of the equation because the waveform frequency spectrum does not depend on distance. The reason for dropping the term is to focus on the dynamics of reflection or propagation, especially if there is nonlinear media involved or for digital signal processing purposes. The speaker also asked about the type of project a math grad student would typically work on in the field of radar
tray84
Consider a received radar signal of the form

[tex] s(t) = \frac{p e^{i 2 \pi f ( \frac{2 R(t)}{c} )}}{ [4 \pi R(t)]^2} [/tex]

where p is the reflectivity value, f is the carrier frequency, and R(t) is the range. In some cases I have seen this written as

[tex] s(t) = p e^{ i 2 \pi f ( \frac{2 R(t)}{c} )} [/tex]

(That is in many cases the geometric spreading is ignored). My question is can the [itex] [4 \pi R(t)]^2 [/itex] be eliminated?

Note that I am a math grad student working on a research project in radar, so I am not sure about the specifics reasons this is done.

Additional Details
It is assumed that the antenna is an isotropic point source and the target is a point scatter. Also, the incident wave is assumed to be a complex sinusoidal.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The geometric spreading can't be ignored strictly. It's inherent to the geometry of propagation. It's like asking "can I ignore 1/r^2 in gravitational force?".

It is separable because the waveform frequency spectrum doesn't depend on distance, only the magnitude changes and the phase shift in time (it is delayed because it propagates over a distance at a finite speed). Basically the pulse maintains its shape but it's amplitude decays with distance. This because air and vacuum are linear media.

The reason for dropping it is because you may want to look at the dynamics of reflection or propagation already knowing the amplitude must decrease. This is particular true if there is some nonlinear media involved or if you want to look at the information content with regard to coding of the pulse for digital signal processing.

If I may ask, what kind of project would a math grad. student be working on? (Still, yet unsuccessfuly, trying to find the beauty in math)

1. What is "radar received field no spreading"?

"Radar received field no spreading" refers to a phenomenon in radar technology where the electromagnetic signal received by the radar does not spread out or disperse as it travels through space. This can be caused by various factors such as the use of a highly focused antenna or the use of special signal processing techniques.

2. How does radar received field no spreading affect radar performance?

Radar received field no spreading can improve radar performance by allowing for more accurate and precise detection and tracking of targets. It also reduces the amount of interference and noise in the received signal, resulting in a clearer and more reliable image.

3. What are some methods used to achieve radar received field no spreading?

There are several methods used to achieve radar received field no spreading, including the use of a highly directional antenna, the use of digital signal processing techniques, and the implementation of advanced radar algorithms.

4. Are there any drawbacks to radar received field no spreading?

While radar received field no spreading can improve performance, it also requires more complex and expensive technology. Additionally, it may be more susceptible to certain types of interference or jamming.

5. How is radar received field no spreading different from radar scattering?

Radar received field no spreading and radar scattering are two different phenomena. While radar received field no spreading refers to the behavior of the received signal, radar scattering refers to the way objects in the environment reflect or scatter the radar signal. Both can affect radar performance, but in different ways.