High energy electron scattering and proof of nucleus structure

In summary, the conversation is about someone struggling with understanding high energy electron scattering and how it provides proof for the size of the nucleus. They have read various texts and links but are still confused and would appreciate a layman's explanation. The conversation also clarifies that the person is referring to the cross section size of the nucleus and provides a link for more information on electron scattering.
insentive
Hey all,

I am currently revising for my Physics mock but i can't get my head around high energy electron scattering, and the proof this provides for the size of the nucleus.

I have read from a variety of texts and some of the links on here but these have lead me to become even more confused! I would really appreciate if someone could explain the basics in laymans terms for me

Thanks for all your help

Physics news on Phys.org
insentive said:
Hey all,

I am currently revising for my Physics mock but i can't get my head around high energy electron scattering, and the proof this provides for the size of the nucleus.

The size of the nucleus, what do you mean by that ?

regards
marlon

edit : http://web.mit.edu/spectroscopy/history/history-quantum.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the scattering cross-section?

Gokul43201 said:
Perhaps the scattering cross-section?

That would make more sense.

marlon

Hey

Sorry I wasn't specific enough, I meant to say the cross section size of the nucleus

Thanks for your help

insentive said:
Hey all,

I am currently revising for my Physics mock ...
It would help to know what level this is at (high school, college, etc.) and in which country. Please provide as much context as reasonably possible.

Here's some information on electron scattering (also called "Mott scattering"):
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/elescat.html

If you scatter electrons at nuclei, the cross section will look like the one from the Rutherford scattering but multiplied with a factor

[tex]1- \beta^2 \rm{sin}^2 (\theta/2)[/tex]

with

[tex]\beta = v/c[/tex]
[tex]\theta[/tex]: scattering angle

The factor has something to do with the spin of the electron.

Last edited:

1. What is high energy electron scattering?

High energy electron scattering is a scientific technique used to study the structure of nuclei. It involves firing high energy electrons at a target nucleus and observing the scattering pattern of the electrons as they interact with the nucleus. This scattering pattern can provide valuable information about the size and shape of the nucleus.

2. How does high energy electron scattering provide proof of nucleus structure?

High energy electron scattering provides proof of nucleus structure by producing a scattering pattern that is consistent with the existence of a small, dense nucleus at the center of an atom. This pattern is in agreement with the predictions of the Rutherford model of the atom, which proposed that the majority of an atom's mass is concentrated in a small, positively charged nucleus.

3. What are some advantages of using high energy electron scattering for studying nucleus structure?

One advantage of using high energy electron scattering is that it allows scientists to study the structure of nuclei without physically altering or damaging them. This is because electrons have a much smaller mass compared to other particles used in scattering experiments, such as protons or alpha particles. Additionally, high energy electron scattering can provide more precise measurements of nucleus size and shape compared to other techniques.

4. What have scientists learned about nucleus structure through high energy electron scattering?

Through high energy electron scattering, scientists have been able to confirm the existence of a small, dense nucleus at the center of an atom. They have also been able to determine the approximate size and shape of nuclei, and have discovered that nuclei are composed of nucleons (protons and neutrons). Additionally, high energy electron scattering has contributed to our understanding of the strong nuclear force, which binds nucleons together within the nucleus.

5. How does high energy electron scattering compare to other techniques for studying nucleus structure?

High energy electron scattering is one of the most versatile and widely used techniques for studying nucleus structure. Compared to other methods, such as X-ray diffraction or nuclear magnetic resonance, high energy electron scattering can provide more detailed information about the internal structure of nuclei. However, it does have limitations, such as its inability to directly detect individual particles within the nucleus.