High GRE Math Subject Scores but more it's needed.

In summary, the speaker is an international student seeking advice on their chances of being accepted into top institutions such as Princeton, MIT, and Berkeley. They have received a high GRE math subject score but are concerned about the importance of recommendation letters and their lack of research experience. They are also applying to Brown and UCLA as backup options. The speaker is feeling overwhelmed and seeking advice from others with similar experiences. The other person in the conversation offers reassurance and suggests considering the specific field of mathematics and not just the overall ranking of the institution. They also mention that private universities may place less emphasis on basic research.
ab77
Hello all. I'm an international student, and I need some advice or ideas, something.

I received my GRE math subject scores for October, got 99% (900 raw, out of 990 I suppose). Is that high enough for being competitive at top institutions (Princeton, MIT, Berkeley, ...)? What else do you need?
The thing is that I'm in a 20th something ranked school, towards my PhD, but I want to transfer. I just got into this one place in Fall 2006, and I accepted it, I think I made a mistake, being that in my country I was at the best school, it's just so different here.

I'm so stressed right now with the applications, because I finally got a good score (3rd time, first I got around 77%, then 92%), but now I found out that most places give high value to rec letters, and I can't say I know a lot my profs, I don't know how strong they'll write about me, I wish they'll write great things. Of course I performed excellent in their courses, but did no more, with exception of one, which I took a reading course with. It's just so unfair perhaps that the one thing you can't control weights more. I can't tell this to them, I don't think it's appropiate.
I also got excellent grades (only A's) but no undergrad research, not possible where I come from.

Finally, I'm applying to Brown and UCLA, as 'backup'. Do I have there any chance?

I'd like to hear from some similar experience.

So what is really needed to get into those institutions, it seems such a random thing. Some say rec letters, but then need also high gre, and then research, and personal statement, and...

I feel so overwhelmed.

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am in the opposite situation of yours, I did not have an outstanding score in the GRE subject (83%, even if I had just one try, while the schools to which you are applying will see all your 3 attempts) but have research experience (published on a top journal) and great recommendations.

I think that your letters will be very good, given that you seem to be a great student, and, at least, they will not hurt you, while your other credentials will surely make you very appealing. Don't worry about it, and try to consider schools not only for their global ranking, but also according to the field of mathematics you want to pursue in research.
Remember that even outstanding students may go through hard times, at least initially, when they are required to perform independent research.

For example, Stanford may be very renowned, however I know for sure that their mathematics department is full of emeriti who haven't been active in research for quite a long time. In general, private universities do not put the same effort of public ones in basic research, and tend to focus on immediately "marketable" research instead.

If you look at who's teaching mathematics at the top 20 university level or browse through research papers, you will see a lot of faculty earned their phds in public universities and not only in the top 5 range.

I understand your concerns and frustrations with the admissions process for top institutions. While a high GRE math subject score is certainly impressive and can make you a competitive candidate, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. It is important to also have strong letters of recommendation, a solid academic record, and relevant research experience.

That being said, it is not uncommon for international students to face challenges in obtaining research experience during their undergraduate studies. Admissions committees understand this and will take that into consideration when reviewing your application. It is important to highlight any research experience you do have, even if it is not extensive, and explain the limitations you faced in your home country.

In terms of your chances at Brown and UCLA, it is difficult to say without knowing the specifics of their admissions criteria and the strength of your overall application. However, it is always worth applying and showcasing your strengths in all areas of your application.

My advice would be to focus on strengthening your personal statement and try to establish a strong connection with your letter writers. You can also reach out to professors at your current institution who may be able to provide additional insights and advice on the admissions process.

Remember, the admissions process is not entirely random. Admissions committees are looking for well-rounded candidates with a strong academic background and potential for success in their program. Keep working hard and showcasing your strengths, and I wish you the best of luck in your applications.

1. What is considered a high GRE Math Subject Score?

According to ETS, a perfect score on the GRE Math Subject Test is 990. However, scores above 800 are generally considered to be high.

2. How important are high GRE Math Subject Scores for graduate school admissions?

High GRE Math Subject Scores can be an important factor in the admissions process for competitive graduate programs in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physical sciences. However, other factors such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements also play a significant role.

3. Is studying solely for the GRE Math Subject Test enough to achieve a high score?

No, it is not enough to just study for the GRE Math Subject Test. While a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary, it is also important to practice with sample questions and take full-length practice tests to become familiar with the format and pacing of the exam.

4. Are there any resources or study materials that can help improve GRE Math Subject Scores?

Yes, there are many resources available to help prepare for the GRE Math Subject Test. Some options include review books, online practice tests, and tutoring services. It is important to choose resources that align with your learning style and focus on areas where you need improvement.

5. Can a low GRE Math Subject Score be offset by other strengths in the graduate school application?

Yes, a low GRE Math Subject Score can potentially be offset by strong letters of recommendation, research experience, or a high undergraduate GPA. However, it is important to strive for a well-rounded application and to demonstrate proficiency in mathematics through other aspects of your application.