1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High-order determinants: easier way?

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    Ok, so I understand the method of finding a determinant of any order by expansion of minors. I was recently challenged by my teacher to find the determinant of a 10th order determinant she gave me. I succeeded, and felt quite proud of myself, after working for 3 months and filling up 300 pages with the math. Recently, I have grown fond of programming, and challenged myself to write a program in C++ that will find any determinant of an order of 10 or less. Coding the basic algorithm for expansion of minors has become quite tiresome. So, I am wondering, is there a simpler way to find any determinant? I'm only concerned with 4th-10th order determinants, as 2nd and 3rd orders are relatively painless. The solution has to be universal.

I'm not worried about implementing the method, as I can figure that out on my own. I just want to know if there is a simpler way (simpler here meaning needing less than 250,460 minors, and minors of minors, and so on) to go about finding a determinant?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    Have you tried searching for 'determinant algorithms'?

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3
    I have, but everything I've found talks about eigenvalues, pivoting, and vectors. I have absolutely no idea what any of those are. Please take into account that I am a sophomore in high school, currently enrolled in an Algebra II class that covered determinants only for use in Cramer's Rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook