1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group order from a presentation

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    Hello.

I have been looking at some questions from old exams that I am preparing for, and I have some trouble with the kind of problems that I will now give an example of.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]G = (a,b,c | a^4 = 1, b^2 = a^2, bab^{-1} = a^{-1}, c^3 = 1, cac^{-1} = b, cbc^{-1} = ab)[/itex]. Determine the order of this group.

2. Relevant equations
    null

3. The attempt at a solution
    The relations imply that one can move c to the left past all a,b. Also, b can be moved to the left past all a, and hence we can express all elements of this group as products of a power of a, power of b and power of c (in that order). There are at most 24 elements. Now, I have not found any relations that imply orders of a and c are less than 4 and 3, so I assume the group has order 24, but how can I prove this? Easiest would be to find a group generated by 3 (or less) elements that satisfy these properties, and map G surjectively into it, but I cannot expect to memorize all low order groups.

On groups with 2 generators and simpler relations, I usually just do mind-numbing computation of the left regular representation of this group presentation. Then if the relations do not collapse the group, I can map it surjectively into the permutation group I obtained and draw conclusions about order. What can I do in this case, when there are 3 generators and relations pretty much complicated enough so that working out a regular representation on paper is out of question. Are there any popular tricks?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook