Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Pressure Quick Connect Fittings

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    Has anyone out there had any successes or failures on high pressure (up to 400 psi) quick connect connectors?

I've done the basics McMasterGoogleGlobalSpec search, and have come up with a few different kinds. There is a large variance in price, so I wanted to see what anyone has had experience with.

Requirements:
    Male to Female connection
    Corrosion resistance (part will go between water and air possibly once every 10 minutes. Submerged for no more than 2 minutes at a time.
    Standard NPT threads are a plus (1/2" or 3/4")

Also, the hose to go with these, any suggestions would be helpful. I found a rubber hose with a wiremesh structure that is intended for high pressure air and/or water application, so will probably go with that.

Thanks all......

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
    I dug deeper into McMaster and found what I was looking for.....

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The ones you can get from McMaster are made by Snap-Tite. We use them all the time. They are very good fittings. Parker and Aeroquip also make similar products as well.

Here is Snap-Tite's web site:
    http://www.snap-tite.com/

5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    Cool, that works. I might be able to find something a little more specific on their sight as well.

I was looking through some threads and came across one where you were posting about your chicken launcher. That sounds sweet. We had made some spud guns where I was before...those things are awesome. We ended up having an actual need for them for launching 2x4's at some structural material...

I am guessing that you were launching them into the intake of an engine?

Thanks again for the link.....

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Naw, that would be a total waste. It's a barbecue reloading device.

7. Feb 11, 2008 #6
    Ha ha ha....

That's hilarious. Since we are cooking things, lets launch a potatoe into a mounted french fry cutter, then have it land in a deep frier.... it slices, it dices, it throws scalding hot cooking oil all over the place.......

8. Feb 11, 2008 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Yup. Birds at engines. Life don't get any better than that.

No prob on the link.

9. Feb 12, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I feel a Rube Goldberg device coming on... :devil:

10. Feb 13, 2008 #9
    Since we are cooking engineers, we can somehow incorporate a greasecar.......

11. Feb 13, 2008 #10
    Swagelok makes excellent high pressure fittings

12. Feb 13, 2008 #11

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: I think you just reinvented biodiesel.

13. Feb 13, 2008 #12
    yeah, that's kind of what I had in-mind.

it would be a heck of a show at the annual punkin chunkin competition in Delaware....

14. Feb 14, 2008 #13

Danger

Gold Member

If you're in attendance at that, we expect pictures.

15. Feb 14, 2008 #14
    Yeah, I plan on going this year. Not to compete or demonstrate, but just to observe. I am kind of fortunate, living only about an hour driving distance (or less) from the site.

Will definitly post pictures......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?