High Tire PSI = Better Performance

In summary, the use of high PSI tire inflation method is a common practice among law enforcement agencies and stunt drivers, but is often viewed as dangerous by the amateur driving community. However, this method has been endorsed by experienced drivers and has been proven to have benefits such as increased resistance to aquaplaning and improved fuel consumption. While over-inflation can be dangerous, slight increases in PSI may not have a significant impact on road performance. Ultimately, the correct PSI for a specific vehicle is determined through testing and can provide optimal performance on the road.
marinpa
Hello,

I am a tactical driving instructor and a precision/stunt driver. For more than 15 years I use high PSI tire inflation method on my family car, tactical training courses or stunt performance cars.

Namely, if on the side wall of the tire manufacturer is indicating that maximum PSI 41, I inflate my tires at 51 PSI.

Different law enforcement agencies are using the same high PSI tire inflation technique, and the method is endorsed and recommended by highly qualified EVOC instructors and dedicated precision/stunt trainers.

One of the people endorsing the use of high PSI tires is, Bobby Ore, a veteran driver, with over 30 years of stunt driving experience, 13 world driving records, many standing to this day.
He is a law enforcement certified instructor, training for 25 years federal agents like FBI, CIA, Secret Service and other numerous Law Enforcement agencies to drive in extreme tactical circumstances. In regards of driving I believe he is the most qualified driver I ever had the pleasure to meet and learn from.

Yet the amateur driving community in general is regarding the high PSI tire inflation method as a dangerous practice and any discussion on this topic in the automotive forums encounters a lot of resistance and reluctance, (flames) but none of the writers have neither experimented nor sat down and take the physics and/or tire dynamics in consideration.

The main counter-argument to high PSI tire inflation method is lack of tire traction leading to a poor handling, higher distance braking, danger of tire "explosion" and uneven tire wear in the middle. However in my personal experience none of those concerned are valid.

Is there anyone that can help me to find a way to validate the physics and tire dynamics, of what I know for fact, due to my real world experience it works, the high PSI tire inflation method?

Thank you anticipated for your time and effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well as with all things car related... it depends.

High pressures do give lower traction and poorer steering responce and feel, as it prevents the sidewall and carcass of the tyre of deflecting. This is mostly to do with tyre temperature though.

On saying that on the road this doesn't really make a hell of a lot of difference, you'd be hard pressed to tell. On the track where speeds and cornering forces tend to be higher, you centraily can tell the drop off of grip.

In wet conditions higher inflated tyres will be more resistant to aquaplaning. Also properly inflated tyres decrease rolling resistance and improve fuel consumption.

However, severe over inflation can acutally be dangerous. It leads to the tyre's contact patch not sitting flat with the floor, giving uneven wear and having the tendency to 'snap' near the limit of adhesion. i.e the grip falls away suddenly you also do run the risk of rapid deflation if there are any flaws in the carcass.

You'll probably be fine 10psi over, but you've got to remember that manufacturers specifications are there for a reason. They have done thousands of man hours of testing and designed the tyre to work optimallly at their spcified pressure. Not only this, but the pressure further increases as you drive but to the temperature in the carcass of the tyre rising. So 50 psi may be fine for heavy laden low speed town driving, but can drive the pressures way up with extended high speed driving.

Put it this way, if a winch is specified for a ton, you'd never dream of consistently overloading it by 25%.Most important thing is that it probably won't make a jot of difference on the road. Only very high pressures and very low pressures will make the difference.There really is no need to experimentally determine this, as that's all been done many many times and is well documanted in lots of books. The only thing that needs to be determined by testing is how pressure changes affects your set up.
EDIT: I've been thinking about this and I've come up with a nice tldr version of the above.

Correct PSI for set up = Best performance. On the road high PSI = slighty less performance but more consistent over the range of road conditions.

I'd suspect that's the reason why they tend for higher pressures.

Last edited:

Dear driver and instructor,

Thank you for sharing your personal experience and expertise on the topic of high PSI tire inflation. While it is always valuable to hear from those with real-world experience, it is important to also consider scientific evidence and research in evaluating the effectiveness and safety of different driving techniques.

According to the laws of physics, increasing tire pressure can indeed improve performance in some ways. Higher tire pressure can reduce rolling resistance, resulting in better fuel efficiency and potentially improved handling. However, it is important to note that this is not a universal truth and may not always be the case. The effects of high PSI tire inflation can vary depending on the type of vehicle, road conditions, and other factors.

Furthermore, it is important to consider the potential safety risks associated with high PSI tire inflation. Overinflated tires can lead to reduced traction and uneven wear, which can ultimately compromise the handling and stability of a vehicle. In extreme cases, overinflated tires can also lead to tire blowouts, putting the driver and others on the road at risk.

While it is understandable that some driving communities may view high PSI tire inflation as a dangerous practice, it is important to approach this topic with an open mind and consider all available evidence and research. I would recommend consulting with experts in the field of tire engineering and conducting controlled experiments to further evaluate the effectiveness and safety of high PSI tire inflation.

Thank you for your dedication to safe and efficient driving. Let's continue to work together to find the best practices for optimal performance on the road.

What is the relationship between tire PSI and performance?

The higher the tire PSI, the better the performance of the vehicle. This is because higher tire pressure leads to better handling, increased fuel efficiency, and improved traction.

How does tire PSI affect fuel efficiency?

Proper tire pressure is crucial for fuel efficiency. If the tire PSI is too low, the tire will have a larger surface area in contact with the road, resulting in increased rolling resistance and decreased fuel efficiency. On the other hand, if the tire PSI is too high, it can lead to uneven wear and decreased fuel efficiency.

Does high tire PSI improve handling?

Yes, high tire PSI improves handling by providing better stability and control. This is because higher tire pressure leads to a smaller contact patch, which allows the tire to respond more quickly to steering inputs.

What is the ideal tire PSI for maximum performance?

The ideal tire PSI for maximum performance varies depending on the vehicle and the type of tire. It is recommended to follow the tire pressure guidelines provided by the manufacturer for the best results.

Can high tire PSI cause damage to the vehicle?

Yes, excessively high tire PSI can cause damage to the vehicle. It can lead to uneven tire wear, decreased traction, and even blowouts. It is important to always check and maintain the correct tire pressure for optimal performance and safety.