Higher order General Method problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a Higher Order Differential Equation using the General Method to find y_p. The equation is y_p = (secax)/(D^2 + a^2) and the solution reaches the point of y_p = (1/(D + ai))e^(aix) * integral of secax * e^(-aix) dx. The person is asking for help with solving the integral and the responder suggests that it is straightforward and provides steps to solve it. They also clarify that \iota is equivalent to i in the equation. The conversation ends with gratitude from both parties.
shaiqbashir
hi guys!

okz this is a question from Higher Order Differential Equations. We are solving it from General Method to find [tex]y_{p}[/tex].

[tex]y_{p}=\frac{secax}{D^{2}+a^{2}}[/tex]

I solve it and reaches this point:

[tex]y_{p}=\frac{1}{D+a\iota} e^{a\iota x} \int secax.e^{-a\iota x} dx[/tex]

Please tell me some way to deal with this Integral Term. How can i solve it to get the final answer. What should be the best way to solve it,

i shall be thankful to u for this act of kindness.

take carez!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the range of x? Are you solving for some particular range or the whole x-axis?
If the integral has upper and lower limits then it looks easier, particularly if you're integrating from [tex]-\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex].
By the way, is [tex]\iota[/tex] some parameter, or [tex]\iota^2=-1[/tex]?

Last edited:
thanks for ur interest!

there are no limits in this question

the letter i is basically iota!

In that case the integral is straightforward:

[tex]sec\left(ax\right)e^{-iax} &=& \frac{\cos\left(ax\right)-i\sin\left(ax\right)}{\cos(ax)}
\\
&=& 1 - i\tan\left(ax\right)\,.
[/tex]

These are just standard integrals...

shaiqbashir said:
thanks for ur interest!
the letter i is basically iota!

(By the way my last post is assuming [if I understood correctly from what you said], that [tex]\iota=i[/tex]).

yeah that's true jpr0

thanks for ur help!

1. What is a "Higher order General Method problem"?

A Higher order General Method problem refers to a type of problem-solving approach that involves using complex and abstract thinking to solve problems. It typically involves breaking down a problem into smaller parts and using logical reasoning and critical thinking skills to come up with a solution.

2. How do you identify a Higher order General Method problem?

Higher order General Method problems can be identified by their complexity and abstract nature. These types of problems often require the use of critical thinking and analytical skills, rather than just basic knowledge or memorization.

3. What are some common strategies for solving Higher order General Method problems?

Some common strategies for solving Higher order General Method problems include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using logical reasoning and critical thinking skills, applying strategies such as trial and error, and using prior knowledge or experience to help come up with a solution.

4. How can Higher order General Method problems be applied in real life?

Higher order General Method problems can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in scientific research, engineering, and business. These types of problems can help individuals think critically and creatively to find solutions to complex problems and make informed decisions.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a Higher order General Method approach?

One potential drawback of using a Higher order General Method approach is that it may take longer to solve a problem compared to using a more basic problem-solving approach. It also requires a high level of cognitive skills and can be challenging for individuals who struggle with abstract thinking or critical reasoning.