Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hobby electronics

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1
    As a freshman student in electrical engineering, I need some projects that are simple but enjoyable. I search it on google but results were not satisfying. If you know useful web addresses about this topic, please share with me. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2008 #2

ranger

Gold Member

You can try getting some electronics kits. I think Radioshack had a kit called Sensors. Not sure if its in production anymore, but it may have been replaced by more recent kits. Just drop by your local shack and inquire. Also you can find many schematics on the internet of circuits that do useful things and demonstrate some basic concepts in electronics. One excellent resource is discover circuits.

BTW, its awesome that you are showing some interest in building circuits at such an early stage in your undergrad studies. Such an attitude will be invaluable over the coming years.

4. Feb 21, 2008 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're interested in robotics or control software, an excellent website to look at is http://www.parallax.com/ since they have do-it yourself robots that can include breadboards on top for building basic circuits that control some of their functions.

Parallax Educational Products

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. Feb 21, 2008 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Get a subscription to Make Magazine. You'll never have to search for project ideas ever again.

- Warren

6. Feb 21, 2008 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very cool magazine, I'm going to have to subscribe now :cool:

7. May 25, 2009 #6
  8. May 25, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a very cheap opensource AtmelAVR based uC board called Arduino
    There are a bunch of submitted and suggested projects here http://www.freeduino.org/

9. May 25, 2009 #8

cf8

Wow, I forgot all about that site you linked to!

I own an Arduino Duemilanove and I really like it. So far I've just done basic communication (to Arduino; from Arduino), controlling an LCD, and controlling LEDs, but I must say it is a lot easier to learn than I thought it would be. Also, there is an Arduino forum as a part of the main Arduino site, if you need Arduino-specific help. That said, however, I'm sure there are many people on this forum that could help, too. (I'm not recommending one forum over the other; I've used both, but each for different reasons.)

10. May 25, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you seen this one? http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/
    It's not quite an Arduino (same proc family but not binary compatible) but you can use most of the same source and dev kit with a couple of patches.
    It has the USB integrated and can even drive a USB keyboard/mouse

11. May 25, 2009 #10

cf8

I don't think I have... I'll have to find out more about it, though; it looks interesting.

Mildly off-subject, but I could use a low-cost (like maybe $5) development board of some sort. It would only need about 4 I/O pins; I'd be okay if I had to use some sort of board to program it, instead of built-in USB (but built-in USB would be fine, too).

12. May 25, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

13. May 25, 2009 #12

cf8

Actually, the Paperduino looks more like what I was thinking. Something minimalistic and cheap; I'd like to replace the ATMega168 with something like this or even this, but I'd have to find out what other components would be needed, and how they would be connected to each other. Low cost is my goal, because I wouldn't want to be upset if it got destroyed. (I'm wanting drop something like a small firecracker/noisemaker from a remote-controlled helicopter; I wouldn't want to waste $15 every time I made a mistake.)

14. May 25, 2009 #13
    Do a google search on "Electronics kits".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?