Hocky puck vel/displacement/acc

• Thread starter DarkTangent
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using a horizontal air table to reduce friction and allow for movement of pucks. The conversation then goes on to determine the acceleration, final velocity, and displacement of a puck pushed by a 1.00 N force for 2.00 s. There is some confusion about which equation to use, but it is eventually determined that f=ma can be used to solve the problem. The final answer is determined to be 4 m/s^2.
DarkTangent
1. By pumping air up through thousands of tiny holes we can make a horizontal air table that will support several pucks so that they can move around on cushions of air with very little friction. Suppose that one such puck initially at rest, having a mass of 0.250 kg, is pushed along by a 1.00 N force for 2.00 s. Determine its acceleration and the final velocity at the end of 2.00 s. What will be the displacement?

2. Well, of all the equations that I thought I should use, I thought it would be Acceleration=(Velocity final-Velocity initial)/(time)

3. I've made several attempts at a solution but I'm not sure if I'm using the right equation, someone mind pushing me in the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I figured out that f=ma and I know the force and the mass. No biggy :)
The rest will be easy to figure out, thanks :)
Though, it would be (1 kg m/s^2)/ (.250 kg) = 4 m/s^2, correct?

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. Let's start with the given information: we have a puck with a mass of 0.250 kg and it is pushed by a force of 1.00 N for 2.00 seconds. We want to determine its acceleration, final velocity, and displacement.

First, we need to understand the concept of acceleration. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, it is how quickly the velocity of an object changes over a period of time. The equation you mentioned, a = (vf - vi)/t, is correct. This is known as the average acceleration formula.

To solve this problem, we need to know the initial velocity (vi), final velocity (vf), and time (t). We know that the puck is initially at rest, so the initial velocity is 0 m/s. We also know that the force acting on the puck is 1.00 N for 2.00 seconds. To find the final velocity, we can use the equation vf = vi + at. Plugging in the values, we get vf = 0 + (1.00/0.250)(2.00) = 8.00 m/s. This means that at the end of 2.00 seconds, the puck will be moving at a velocity of 8.00 m/s.

Now, to find the acceleration, we can rearrange the average acceleration formula to solve for a. This gives us a = (vf - vi)/t = (8.00 - 0)/2.00 = 4.00 m/s^2. Therefore, the acceleration of the puck is 4.00 m/s^2.

To find the displacement, we can use the equation d = vit + (1/2)at^2. Again, we know that the initial velocity is 0 m/s, so this term will be eliminated. Plugging in the values, we get d = (1/2)(4.00)(2.00)^2 = 8.00 m. This means that the puck will travel a distance of 8.00 meters in 2.00 seconds.

In conclusion, the acceleration of the puck is 4.00 m/s^2, the final velocity is 8.00 m/s, and the displacement is 8.00 meters. I hope this helps guide you

1. What is a hockey puck's velocity?

A hockey puck's velocity refers to the speed and direction at which it is moving. It is typically measured in meters per second and can change over time due to various factors such as the force applied to it and the friction of the surface it is sliding on.

2. How is a hockey puck's displacement calculated?

A hockey puck's displacement is calculated by measuring the change in its position from its initial location to its final location. This can be determined by taking into account the direction and distance the puck has traveled.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration for a hockey puck?

Velocity refers to the speed and direction of a hockey puck's motion at a specific moment, while acceleration refers to the rate at which the puck's velocity changes over time. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast the puck is moving, and acceleration tells us how quickly its speed or direction is changing.

4. How does friction affect a hockey puck's velocity?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object and can greatly affect the velocity of a hockey puck. As the puck slides across the ice, it experiences friction, which can cause it to slow down and change direction. The amount of friction depends on factors such as the surface and temperature of the ice, as well as the weight and speed of the puck.

5. What is the relationship between velocity and displacement for a hockey puck?

The relationship between velocity and displacement for a hockey puck is that velocity is the rate of change of displacement. In other words, the velocity of a puck is dependent on its displacement - how far it has traveled and in what direction. A puck can have different velocities at different points along its displacement, depending on factors such as acceleration and friction.